Monday Munchies

Today I'm sharing with you a wholesome meal that's easy-one bowl, aka #winning
What's great about salmon patties is that it's healthy, but because it requires canned salmon, the main ingredient can be kept on-hand until you actually need it. I found myself with some free time, and knew they would pair nicely with the frozen french fries I have been trying to use.  I mean, the salmon patties are relatively low carb, so I figured french fries would be a good addition.  I did add some previously cut up fruit, to balance it all out!  

I found using a potato masher a helpful kitchen tool in this instance, and possibly an ice cream scoop would have been a wise move to help get the perfectly portioned, rounded patties.  
Once the pan heats up enough, the heat can be lowered, to pretty low actually, and depending on how burnt you like your patties, about one minute on each side will do.  
I also found the onion not terribly appealing to my little ones, so finer pieces are advisable.  
Nevertheless, my children still refused to eat this-even though they had eaten it before at Alta Bubby and Zayde's house.  I did finally convince them to take a few bites so they could have their oreos for dessert.  Hey, we all deserve a little sweetness in our lives! 

Always remember:  

QUICK AND EASY SALMON CAKES: 
 
1 12 oz. can pink salmon skin removed, bones crushed.
1/2 cup flour
1/3 c. diced onion
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg, beaten
 
Drain salmon, reserving 2 tbs. juice. The juice is the liquid that really helps it form a patty.  I know the liquid is super gross, but don't skimp on it!
 In a bowl, combine juice and all ingredients and mix well. 

The original recipe says it makes six patties, but because I knew my kiddos need smaller portions, I just made smaller patties-you can make whatever size suits you best.  However, I did notice that making them too thick doesn't allow for it to properly cook through, and the tops/bottoms will burn fast, so thinner is better.
You can fry the patties in 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil on both sides until golden brown and then drain them on paper towel, or you can spray your pan with spray and cook that way.  I did it this way, which is why I need thinner patties to allow for more even cooking throughout, but I'm sure the frying is delicious!  

Even though my kids didn't gobble these up this time around, I still love them as a great alternative to the typical egg white dinner I usually eat! I wish I had more of the typical burger fixings on hand, but that would require planning, and we're still coming out of the Passover fog, so although these could have been more gourmet, I'm still thrilled that I was able to whip up a wholesome meal on the fly!

  
I didn't stop there, I also made some banana bread; I had so many left over bananas, that it was breaking my heart to see them browning with a trashcan doomsday approaching rapidly.  There are several people that appreciate my baked goodies, so I figured, why not!  A triple batch later, there's some gooey banana chocolaty goodness!


Banana chocolate chip, or chocolate chip banana-either way, it was delicious! 

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz