Dress up Organization

With the recent celebration of Passover, I'm sure I'm not the only one that used the holiday as an excuse to spring clean.  Although the season is typically rather stressful, I was actually looking forward to decluttering and setting up donation piles!  I was getting quite overwhelmed with the amount of toys (and we won't begin to mention the disorganization, lack of play time and missing pieces!!!!) and clutter taking over my house!  One place that needed immediate tackling was under the boys' bunk bed!  It probably seems funny to rely heavily on under the bed storage, but in NYC, you take space anywhere you can get it!  

I've been hoarding organizational and decor magazines for awhile now, and when The Container Store magazine came out, an idea instantly popped into my head! 

Underbed Box with Locking Lid
I wish they had prettier pictures on their website, that way you could see what it was that made this idea click for me. I've mentioned before that when I'm in need of an idea, I'm usually successful in coming up with that idea at moments when I least expect it.  Thankfully, I've come to appreciate that's how I work and when I'm wracking my brain to come up with ideas, I know to take a step back and just let the magic happen.  

This container, or one similar, was advertised as an under-the-bed container, and in the magazine picture, it showed several pairs of boots.  Now, I don't know about you, but boots are a pain to store-they take up a lot of space and they require extra care.  I always cringe when they end up getting thrown back in my closet. In an uncreative fashion, I bought two of these containers and put my tall boots into one, and my booties into the other.  They managed to both fit under my bed and my closet has felt much freer these days.  It's not a war between closing my closet door and smashing my boots.  

In case you were wondering, this isn't the organization project I came here today to tell you about!  I took this idea, and came up with a new way to organize the dress up!  

The first thing I did was pull out all the costumes that were currently overflowing from the one bin we had.  I laid it all out and found all the coordinating accessories.  



I bought 2-gallon zip lock bags at my local grocery store, and I bagged each costume into an individual bag. 


Now, here's the key to maintaining this organization: I wrote in permanent marker on each bag, but I also utilized PECS (picture exchange communication system).  I spoke about it HERE, and although it's for people who can't talk, the symbols are key to the little kids that can't read!  


I'm hopeful this helps keep the costumes organized! 
How do you organize your costumes?  




No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz