Weighing in Wednesday

I find that dieting is a very sensitive topic-most people have their minds made up of how a "diet" is supposed to go and are stuck in their ways.  
But I just love sharing, so you can always count on me to dish out plenty of assvice.  
Even though the pounds are not melting off like I had hoped they would, I've still had personal success.
I can see some muscle development, I've lost an inch in my waist, and I've dropped a pound.  
But my clothes are fitting so much better! I can wear skirts that I couldn't wear a month ago.  

Here are some things to keep in mind regarding IIFYM

1.  This is not a diet, this is a lifestyle.  What type of lifestyle is it if you can never have a donut?  To me, not a very good one!  That's why this is called flexible dieting, essentially there is a time and place for anything, you just have to fit it in.

2.  Counting calories is not enough, for a couple reasons.  First of all, it doesn't take into account the breakdown of your calories-how many carbs, protein and fat you consume.  When I was just counting for calories, I was way over on carbs, and way under on protein, but spot on with my caloric intake, and nothing happened.  Second, you can't rely on the nutrition label to count your calories.  Which leads me to number 3.

3.  You will always have to weigh your food, always.  I have seen it go both ways-the package contains more than the claim on an individual serving item, and I've had less than the serving size in my package.  Which means that the macro nutrients need to be altered.  Also, sometimes we make assumptions.  I bought these from Costco, and was loving them once I convinced myself that fat wasn't bad for me.  However, once I closely examined the package I discovered that this oh so tiny it should be an individual serving, actually had 1 1/4 servings.  I had to adjust accordingly.  Additionally, the nutritional information is not spot on, 100% accurate; the FDA allows for calories and nutritional information to be rounded so to speak.

4.  This is science.  There is a mathematical equation to determine your personal breakdown of macros.  You can calculate yours here, but it's known to be inaccurate-so you can either go for it and play around until you find something that works for you, or you can e-mail me and I'll put you in touch with a professional who did mine for $30.  
If you do chose to calculate through this website, read some more background info here first, it includes tips on how to appropriately customize your numbers. 

5.  This lifestyle is counterintuitive to any other diet.  Eating to lose?  What other diet follows this rule of thumb?  But it works!  I'm eating more, however I'm making sure I'm fueling my body properly and I'm losing.  Did I mention this is science?  I haven't figured most of it out yet myself, and I'll be sure to fill you in along the way.  Here's what I know so far: in order to build muscle, which most of us want because we don't want to be "skinny fat," you have to build the muscle.  Building muscle requires more carbs.  Then you reduce your intake and will lose fat to reveal muscle-but you have to build that muscle first.

6.  The number on the scale is just that-the number on the scale.  Unfortunately I can't post the pictures from this private group, but many people either weigh the same, or more once they've successfully "completed" their transformation.  Afterall, muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space.  


Look in the mirror, not the scale...muscle weighs more than fat! Fit girls look good!http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3f/d5/46/3fd546aaa7a44dc9ed8eac1770c24123.jpg 
There's a -2 lb difference in this photo

 http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/ 

Moral of the story: less focus on the scale, and more focus on determination and commitment.  

So, you want to get started on IIFYM?
Go calculate your macros, or e-mail me so I can get you in touch with a professional.  
Get a food scale-I'm looking to get one that's good for on the go-I'm not kidding.
Download a tracking app, I use My Fitness Pal, it's free, and here's how you can customize the settings to fit your macros. Plus she's another great documentation on how eating more helps you lose!
Ladies can join this great Facebook group.  There's over 16,000 members who are on the IIFYM journey too.  I've posted several questions to forum and always get a positive response.  This is such a treasured resource.
Lastly, be patient, it takes time to adjust-mentally and physically.

 It's Not The Destination But The Journey Inkadinkado Wood Mounted Rubber Stamp O STAMPO-90933

I just want to add that all my information came from resources in the IIFYM Women's Facebook group, as well as Skinny Meg, which has become one of my favorite daily reads.

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz