Paying Tribute...

Sir Robert Edwards, the pioneer behind IVF, passed away yesterday.  In 1968 he created a "ball of cells" which is known as a blastocyst (early stages of an embryo), which grew outside of the, typical, uterine environment.  His scientific breakthroughs have led to 5+ million births!  

Sir Robert Edwards, without you and your scientific discoveries and medical advancements, my family would be incomplete.  

On my way home from work, I reflected on what my life would be like without children.  
For one thing, I would have a lot more money...I kid I kid (sorta :/ ) 

In all honesty, my husband and I have talked about how having kids at such a young, unstable time might not seem the most responsible or logical, but we do not regret it.  Not.one.single.second.  
That's what was best for us.  
I've had, surprisingly, quite a few instances where off the cuff remarks were made to me regarding the obvious relationship between my finances and the choice to have kids.  Although, I'm sure many of us who have gone through treatment will concur that having kids isn't as much of a choice as it is a need, a requirement, it's fulfillment.  
Having kids is not a choice, it is a need.  It is a fundamental aspect of happiness.  Now,  that's not to say that people who choose to not have kids, or end up childless do not lead happy lives-my point is that there is a drive, almost an uncontrollable one to have a child, however that child comes into your life.  

If Sir Robert Edwards had not dedicated his life to medicine and science,
I would not have a little 3 year old boy who crawls into my bed every night
I would not have a 20 month old who asks for his Abba every morning
I would not have an art gallery of adorable, yet almost indistinguishable paintings and drawings
I would not have food splattered and stuck on my wall
I would not have floor to ceiling bins of out-grown clothing to organize before storing
I would not have dried raisins and smushed crackers all over the back seat of my car
I would not have a toy car or a diaper in my purse 
I would show up to work with out stains on my clothes
I wouldn't have stretch marks 
 I would not have two little boys who ask for hugs and kisses every morning on my way out the door

I'm forever grateful for all these things and the joy they've brought to my life
Sir Robert Edwards-I'm forever grateful for you.               


No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz