Our Christmas


I don't celebrate Christmas, so it isn't really a day I think about in advance.  It sneaks up on me, and I get all ferklempt (Yiddish for overwhelmed) when I realize that my babysitter won't be in, there's no school, and most things to do/places to go-are closed.  Honestly, I don't even remember what we did last year.  Growing up, we got together with family and ate Chinese (stereotypical much?!?) But this year, I actually threw something together, and we had our own celebration with friends who are like family, on Christmas.  I have to admit, this was so last minute that I definitely did not bring my A-game.  No presentation, burnt food, but: good company :)
For the sake of not having to stay up all night, the menu was as followed:

  • Fritata-brought by guest
  • Iced coffee-brought by guest
  • Morning bake-moi
  • Pancakes with strawberry topping-moi
  • Coffee cake-moi
  • Juice-moi

Brunch is not a genre of food I cook often; I'm usually cooking for Shabbos (Sabbath) of yom tov (Holiday) and we eat meat for those meals.  So when I can create a dairy meal, I'm all over it. But, like I said, I didn't want to stay up all night cooking, and it was just 7 of us.  Of course I had pinned countless mouth-watering recipes that I couldn't wait to attempt, and I figured this gave me the perfect excuse!  But when push came to shove, I couldn't do it!  Why you ask?  Because I love to reminisce.  Just ask my BFF, we've been friends since first grade, and I'm known for squealing out, "Remember remember???" and a long story entails about way back to who knows when!

This brunch was the perfect opportunity to reminisce about a childhood favorite: Grammy's coffee cake.   Whenever we went to visit, this was it, well that and Entenmann's chocolate frosted donuts! When we first arrived to her house in Indiana, we were always greeted with, "want some coffee cake?"  When we first woke up in the morning, "want some coffee cake?"  And throughout the day, we would nosh on the coffee cake-always trying to time your piece just right-so you got the bigger slice of the bundt :) 


Grammy's Coffee Cake

Cinnamon Sugar Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon 


Cake Mix
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
Mix the cinnamon sugar topping ingredients together in a small bowl
*I thought I would double this so there would be more sugar topping on the top-BAD IDEA!  A lot of the sugar was unable to penetrate into the cake, so it just burned.



In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar. 











 Add in the eggs, flour, sour cream, baking soda and baking powder. 





 Add in the vanilla.



Finished (unbaked) product:






Spray a bundt pan and layer as follows:

1/3 cinnamon sugar topping on bottom, 1/2 batter on top of topping, 1/3 of the cinnamon sugar topping ontop of the batter, put the last 1/2 of the batter on top of the cinnamon sugar topping, and finally, top with the last 1/3 of the cinnamon sugar topping.  



Bake at 350 for 40-60 minutes.  Mine was done around 45 minutes.  


Notice the burnt top :( so...


A water + powdered sugar glaze prettied it a bit.

What a wonderful day spent with close friends and yummy food!!!

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz