DIY Chalkboard

So, I'm finally jumping on the  chalkboard paint bandwagon, and let me tell you-it was a blast!!!  

I decided that I wanted to make my own chalkboard after I had been turned onto the idea of these chalkboard markers from Megan  at Honey We're Home.  After searching Pintrest, I decided that my best bet would be to use a frame.  I saw options using the cardboard or the glass from the frame, but I decided to use the glass because I thought it would give me a smoother look.  I anticipated a trip to Michaels for some great frames (hoping to find some on sale!!!), but when I went digging in my frames box in my garage, I remembered I had a couple of leftover antiqued white frames from old progression pictures of my oldest (now 3) that we aren't using in our new house.  Score!  Not only did I not need to buy any new frames, the frames I wanted to use were also a good color, so no extra painting!  


I found my way to my closest Home Depot and I purchased the Rust-oleum ChalkBoard writeable-erasable latex paint in the original color.  I was surprised to find out that they also sell a tintable version of the  chalkboard paint.  But, I settled on the original color because I didn't know how the color would ultimately turn out, and I didn't want to have to worry about matching markers to my chalkboard color.  Plus, I have a couple more DIY Chalkboard ideas I plan on working on in the near future and I'm all about keeping it cheap!!!  

They make a regular paint and a spray paint.  I chose the regular paint because I cannot do this project outside due to weather, and the last thing I need is to spray paint my freshly painted walls, furniture or floors. That would make for one very unhappy husband!  Because I used regular paint, I had to purchase a small roller brush; I opted to not get the roller pan because I didn't want to have any wasted paint!  

Supplies
2 frames-free
Chalkboard paint-under $10   
Brush-under $4
Chalk: TBD
Total: about $15



Because my surface was not unfinished wood, no priming was required-another score!!!

I began by separating the pieces of my frame.  I placed the glass on an empty pizza box waiting to be recycled (the one benefit of not having recycling in almost 3 weeks due to holidays).  










I opened my paint and dipped my brush in and began rolling!  It took me a few strokes to get acclimated but I figured it out quickly and in no time coat #1 was on and drying.  








You can see there were some streaks and some lighter areas so I decided to do another coat a few days later.  It's not required, but I thought it would be good to just smooth it out, plus I had touched it and left some fingerprints-whoops!  So literally, no joke-5 minutes later, while my kids were happily playing with their new tool set, coat #2 went on and began drying.


I now have to wait three days before using chalk, and seven days before I can wipe it clean.  So, my chalk markers are on their way here via UPS, but in the meantime, I've added chalk to my grocery list for tomorrow!  

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz