Sunday, December 30, 2012

DIY Chalkboard

So, I'm finally jumping on the  chalkboard paint bandwagon, and let me tell you-it was a blast!!!  

I decided that I wanted to make my own chalkboard after I had been turned onto the idea of these chalkboard markers from Megan  at Honey We're Home.  After searching Pintrest, I decided that my best bet would be to use a frame.  I saw options using the cardboard or the glass from the frame, but I decided to use the glass because I thought it would give me a smoother look.  I anticipated a trip to Michaels for some great frames (hoping to find some on sale!!!), but when I went digging in my frames box in my garage, I remembered I had a couple of leftover antiqued white frames from old progression pictures of my oldest (now 3) that we aren't using in our new house.  Score!  Not only did I not need to buy any new frames, the frames I wanted to use were also a good color, so no extra painting!  


I found my way to my closest Home Depot and I purchased the Rust-oleum ChalkBoard writeable-erasable latex paint in the original color.  I was surprised to find out that they also sell a tintable version of the  chalkboard paint.  But, I settled on the original color because I didn't know how the color would ultimately turn out, and I didn't want to have to worry about matching markers to my chalkboard color.  Plus, I have a couple more DIY Chalkboard ideas I plan on working on in the near future and I'm all about keeping it cheap!!!  

They make a regular paint and a spray paint.  I chose the regular paint because I cannot do this project outside due to weather, and the last thing I need is to spray paint my freshly painted walls, furniture or floors. That would make for one very unhappy husband!  Because I used regular paint, I had to purchase a small roller brush; I opted to not get the roller pan because I didn't want to have any wasted paint!  

Supplies
2 frames-free
Chalkboard paint-under $10   
Brush-under $4
Chalk: TBD
Total: about $15



Because my surface was not unfinished wood, no priming was required-another score!!!

I began by separating the pieces of my frame.  I placed the glass on an empty pizza box waiting to be recycled (the one benefit of not having recycling in almost 3 weeks due to holidays).  










I opened my paint and dipped my brush in and began rolling!  It took me a few strokes to get acclimated but I figured it out quickly and in no time coat #1 was on and drying.  








You can see there were some streaks and some lighter areas so I decided to do another coat a few days later.  It's not required, but I thought it would be good to just smooth it out, plus I had touched it and left some fingerprints-whoops!  So literally, no joke-5 minutes later, while my kids were happily playing with their new tool set, coat #2 went on and began drying.


I now have to wait three days before using chalk, and seven days before I can wipe it clean.  So, my chalk markers are on their way here via UPS, but in the meantime, I've added chalk to my grocery list for tomorrow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget
 
Blogging tips