Monday Munchies...Pumpkin Edition

I'm not one for pumpkin.
In fact, it gives me terrible heartburn.

I've never had a pumpkin latte from Starbucks.
I hate pumpkin pie.
 And I would never make or drink a pumpkin smoothie or pumpkin oats.

But I love me some pumpkin muffins!

This is the original recipe:

1 small sugar pumpkin, seeded
3 cups all purpose flour 
2 cups white sugar 
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
2 teaspoons ground cloves 
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg 
1 teaspoon ground allspice 
1 teaspoon salt 
2/3 cups vegetable oil 
3 eggs 

I have never worked with a pumpkin, other than carving one for Halloween, so I searched until I found a helpful comment that let me in on how to use canned pumpkin instead!  

Insanely delicious muffins! My husband isn't a terribly big fan of pumpkin, and even he found them irresistible. I used 15 oz canned pumpkin like others suggested, and cut all the spices but the cinnamon in half. I substituted whole wheat flour for regular, Egg Beaters for the eggs, and used a 1/2 Splenda/ 1/2 sugar blend for the sugar. I also added 1 cup chocolate chips and an oatmeal streusel topping. Someone called these "coffeehouse quality" and I absolutely agree.
I didn't follow all of these modifications, but irresistible is definitely  the correct word to describe these muffins.  
I also followed her advice for splitting the spices.
I added raw sugar on top.
Another piece of advice-make sure your muffins are cooked all the way or they will become mushy. 

Pre-heat your oven for 350, and line or grease a 12 muffin tin.
I find this recipe can make more if you make smaller muffins.  
I also like to double the recipe because I find it a little time consuming and they freeze really well, so why not?!?

 If you're going to use a real pumpkin, here's how you do it: split pumpkin in half. Remove seeds and strings. Place on baking sheet, cut side down. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven until tender, about 90 minutes. Remove pumpkin pulp and puree in blender. Measure out 2 cups pumpkin puree; set aside.

 In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together 2 cups pumpkin puree, vegetable oil and eggs. Stir pumpkin mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.

Just a heads up-the batter is a little on the tougher side, and I found out, too late, that some of my ingredients hadn't been mixed in properly.
I also discovered that this recipe can be made in stages-the batter was fine  left covered in the refrigerator overnight.  

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  
Personally, I think it takes longer than that, but everyone's oven is different.  

Here's a picture from Allrecipes page
Those aren't mine, but that's what they look like!

While browsing the pictures, some people had an excellent idea: instead of muffins make a pumpkin bread!
Looks delicious right?
Imagine it with some glaze or cheesecake frosting!!!

Do you have any good pumpkin recipes?

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz