Monday Munchies...

I've already let you all in on my love for desserts that are assigned to the breakfast category.
I love it even more when I can find a way to make them healthy.
I love it even more when it means using up ingredients from our freezer!!!!
That's right folks-moving preparation has begun!

What does this week's Monday Munchies have to do with moving?
Frozen bananas. 
Sounds funny right?  Well, before we started going through bananas like toilet paper, I would buy a bunch, and regularly have browning bananas.  My husband and I are both finicky when it comes to bananas.  Slightest bit brown-goner.  
So I would either be throwing them out or convincing myself I should freeze them and I definitely make something out of them. 
I think when we moved last summer I threw out 14 frozen bananas. 
This time, I only had 6, and I didn't feel like throwing them out.  
So, what better excuse than to make banana bread!

Banana Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
*whole wheat 
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
*1/2 cup apple sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cup mashed banana
*1/2 cup chocolate chips

You can see the changes I made to the ingredients, and I can tell you it tastes delish, although anything with chocolate chips is golden in my book!

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.
 The recipe calls for a separate bowl to combine the eggs and mashed bananas, but I used one bowl-plus the defrosted bananas just mush right up-I mixed everything with a spoon.  


 Pour into greased loaf pan, bake at 350 for60-65 minutes.  I don't even pay attention to time when it comes to these loafs because I find the time really varies by oven, and how the recipe was altered.  

I would say my bread was in the oven for about 45 minutes.  I just pay attention to the browning on top and how jiggly it feels and looks when I take it out of the oven.  If it looks like batter between the cracks in the top, I'll put it back in for about another 8-10 minutes.  
I have no idea why, but when putting things back in the oven, 8 is my go-to number.
But 3 is my lucky number...just sayin' 


Truthfully, I was expecting a harsher taste considering I did straight whole wheat flour and applesauce.  
However, this did not disappoint!
I can't wait to give this to my boys tomorrow morning with breakfast!
 

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz