Monday Munchies...

We have an important fast occurring tonight through tomorrow night.
As in no drinking or eating...
Of course that means we must indulge in a rather satisfying meal beforehand.  
I made baked spaghetti and red lentil soup.
But then this afternoon I realized I hadn't planned for dessert.
And what's a real meal without dessert?
Going to the store to purchase a pre-made dessert wasn't an option due to time constraints and taking care of a few obligations at the new place.  So I racked my brain some...and realized I basically had the ingredients for cake or cookies on hand.  
I chose the latter.  

A friend recently asked me for the recipe, and although I've known of this recipe for years, it has been quite some time since I've made it.  I don't have the original one anymore-I think it died with our old laptop, but a quick search on the interwebs and it was revealed to me!

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick plus 3 tablespoons (11 total tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature 
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar 
1/4 cup sugar 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
5 oz bittersweet chocolate-chopped or chips

Combine the flour, cocoa, and baking soda-sift. If you've noticed, I try to cut out unnecessary steps-and sifting is one of them.  I mixed the dry ingredients with a fork and tried to rid the mix of any lumps and bumps. 

 Beat the butter.
 Add in the sugars, salt and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes


Slowly add in the dry ingredients-mix as minimal as possible.  You will work with the dough by hand, so it's ok if the flour is not mixed in perfectly.  Plus, the less the dough is handled, the better.  


Mix the chocolate chips-just until blended


Place the dough on a workable surface and roll into a 1 1/2 in in diameter log and wrap in cellophane.



 The directions say to refrigerate for 3 hours, however-I don't usually have time to do that, especially not today when I made this on a whim.  So I wrapped it and froze it.  
It was frozen within an hour and a half.  
Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 1/2 inch pieces.  
The dough does not have to defrost before baking, just bake for one minute longer-325 for 12 minutes, so if frozen, 13 minutes in this case.

The cookies do not look done-not at all, but once they cool, they will stay together and they will be amazing!    

The dough can remain in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and in the freezer for 3 months.

I can tell you without a doubt-these cookies will definitely bring about peace-maybe not world peace, but my house was peaceful while we enjoyed these delightful cookies! 


No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz