Monday Munchies...

I'm guilty of falling into a meal routine.  
I often find myself like a song on repeat when it comes to weekly meal planning.  
I know there are a bunch of services out there that for a small fee will create meal plans and shopping lists for you.  And while that sounds great-I am restricted because of keeping kosher.  
But sometimes, a great idea will pop into my head!  
Or, particularly a craving.  
For meatballs!!!

I love meatballs because they're delicious, but I have come across an incredibly simple recipe.  Only problem was-the cookbook is packed.  
And I didn't have time to search on-line for one that would suffice.  
So, I used my knowledge from making the turkey loaf, and what I could remember from the actual recipe, and I created a meat mixture.  
I hoped it would work!
My kids will tell you that it definitely worked!

So what's the rule of thumb?
It goes by weight of meat.  For every lb of meat-use 1 egg, and 1/4 cup of flavored bread crumbs.  You could also add chopped onion, but since the bread crumbs are flavored you don't need the additional flavoring.  

There are many options when it comes to cooking and sauces but I enjoy boiling on the stove top.  I think it ensures a better cook, and it's minimal work-just dump them in, stir occasionally

On a whim meatballs
Meat mixture:
2 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup flavored bread crumbs 
2 eggs. 

Sauce:
2 jars marinera
2 cans cranberry jelly-with whole cranberries.  
*the sauce can probably be halved, but I find it easier to have more sauce because there's more liquid for the meatballs to be placed into initially-which is when they're fragile and mixing them at that point always makes me nervous!!!

Combine the marinera and the cranberry jelly in a pot, bring to a boil. 



Combine the beef, bread crumbs and eggs in one large pot.
Now, honestly, using your hands to mix it all together is your best bet-I always try to bypass this part, however, other utensils just don't cut it!  


Once your meat is mixed and the sauce has boiled, begin taking small pieces of the meat mixture and roll it in your hand to make a meat ball.  
Then place it in the sauce.  
*Once the meatballs are all in the sauce, lower the sauce to as low as it can go-and let the meatballs cook for 45 minutes or until they appear done. 


Not only are meatballs delicious, but they store well-in the refrigerator and in the freezer!  I often times make a large batch and freeze in individual child servings.  

Enjoy!

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz