Monday Munchies...

Phew, it is definitely a challenge to come up with new recipes to showcase here!  Plus, I try to be mindful of what I'm admitting to ;)
please ignore the margarine...

Chicken pot pies are an American staple right?  I can remember growing up, we didn't eat them so frequently, but I would sure beg for them.  This dinner was never a homemade meal, this was a from the freezer meal.  Honestly, I'm not sure which tastes better, but I can tell you this recipe really wasn't so hard. And with the modifications I suggest, which I think will be ok, it's even easier!  And surely cheaper than buying the pre-made, individual servings.
Oh yeah, this was seriously a crowd pleaser.  I was hesitant, but with everyone's first bite, they were amazed. And, one of my biggest fears became a reality-not having enough! Sadly, one full pie was not enough for the four adults.  

link embedded 

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 cup sliced carrots 
1 cup frozen peas 
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter 
I used margarine to make it dairy free
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all purpose flour
I used whole wheat flour 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/ teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cups milk
I used almond milk, again, to keep it dairy free

2 unbaked pie crusts-mine come 2 in a package 
Initially, I bought spelt crusts to attempt to make this healthier, and maybe one day I'll get there. But, I realized the crust just wasn't as doughy and for this recipe, you really need a modeable crust.  Plus, that pie crust is what makes the chicken pot pie! I'm not walking away from that too quickly...

         In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.



In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.


So for starters, I accidentally added in the flour with the margarine and onions.  I think next time I will forget the margarine all together, along with the sauteing, which I usually never do! 

 Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.


I know it really doesn't look pretty...


 Bake in the preheated oven (425) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.


Looking much better!

This cooked for longer than 30-35 minutes, I'd say closer to 45 minutes, but let the golden brown be your guide!

3 comments

  1. Nathan's fave is chicken pot pie. I don't make it often. I'll use a pie crust and top with puff pastry dough. Sometimes I just put it directly in a pan and just top with puff pastry. In terms of margarine, you just need the flour to mix with a fat (could be canola or olive oil) to make a roux in order to thicken the sauce. I also just saute everything, instead of the extra steps of boiling and setting aside. I would saute the chicken, because when you boil, you take away flavor from the chicken. I don't have an exact recipe. I just make it up each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm-so the margarine is for the roux, not the onions? So I could just add onions to the boiled part and figure out a way to make the roux, maybe with some olive oil! :)

    And just btw-the pie crust, pre-baking, is supposed to be slit a few times so it doesn't expand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A roux is just a fat mixed with flour which you cook so the raw flour taste is cooked out and so that it is evenly distributed in the fat and the sauce. All you would do is sautee the onions in the oil til your desired doneness, and then added the flour directly to that. Don't skip the sauteed onions. It adds much more flavor than boiled onions. In fact, I just sautee all my vegetables and add the flour to all of it. The point is to cook the flour a bit and to dissolve it.

    ReplyDelete

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz