Monday Munchies...

Yummy Mummy edition!!!
I hosted some friends for dinner recently and it was a bit of a difficult situation.  One of my guests has celiac disease and is wheat free, as well as rye and barley free.  
So I knew choosing a dessert would be a challenge.
I was so excited about the Yummy Mummy cookbook, I was perusing through all of the recipes when I came across Grandma's Lemon Angel Pie.  After reading the ingredients, we had a winner!

This pie is incredible!  The crust is made out of meringue, and the home-made lemon filling is to die for.  All in all, I thought it was a little too sweet, however my guests thoroughly enjoyed. This is definitely a keeper! 


Grandma's Lemon Angel Pie
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
13/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
6 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup water
11/2 teaspoons lemon zest, plus more for garnish
11/2 cups whipping cream

To make the shell:
Preheat the oven to 275
Beat egg whites until stiff.


Add the cream of tartar and 1 cup sugar.


Beat until stiff and glossy.


Pour into a 9-inch pie dish and spread the mixture up the sides of the dish.  
I don't have a pie dish, so I just used a round disposable aluminum pan.



To make the lemon filling:
Mix 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt.  
In a small bowl, stir the 3 egg yolks with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. 
Combine the egg mixture and the sugar mixture.
Those are supposed to be done separately, but I made a boo....it all worked out a-ok!



In a small saucepan bring 3/4 cup water to a simmer.  
Add the egg mixture, 5 tablespoons of lemon juice and the lemon zest.  Stir constantly (or the zest will burn...I lived to tell the tale) until thickened, about 5 minutes.  



Whip the whipped cream.
Pour half of the whipped cream into the pie crust, which has sunken since it was removed from the oven.  
Then pour in lemon filling.


Then top with remaining whipped cream.  Garnish with lemon zest if you so desire...   

My apologies, I don't have a final picture...that should be an indication of how delicious this was!

And as a side note-I made the paleo blueberry muffins with real almond flour and they turned out much better.  The consistency is more spot on, which is a huge improvement.  The taste is mostly the same, however the texture is what makes the difference.  


No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz