Monday Munchies...
Today's recipe isn't a meal, or even a healthy snack for that matter; although I like to tell myself otherwise.  
Cupcakes...yum!
Any excuse for cupcakes.  I use cake mixes whenever I can get away with it, but I prefer to make my own frosting.  My favorite recipe to use because it requires minimal ingredients and nothing too specific is Wilton's Buttercream frosting.  

Wilton's Buttercream Frosting1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
*I use the shortening pre-wrapped sticks because it's easier to use and seems better for long term storage
1/2 cup butter or margarine
*If using margarine, the frosting will not end up white, it will have a yellowish tint to it. If you plan on dying the frosting, this is totally fine!
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Again, the clear is important
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
*I never sift, and it's fine!
2 tablespoons milk
*If doubling (or more) don't automatically add the extra milk, start slow, you can always add more milk!
**This can be kept in the refrigerator with a damp cloth over it.  Dye accordingly...

Beat the shortening and butter/margarine

Add vanilla, beat

Add confectioners sugar one cup at a time, beat, add liquid until preferred consistency is reached

You could use this to frost a cake, frost cupcakes, frost cookies, or just eat out of the bowl...we do plenty of that around here!

  
To ensure ease of frosting, it's best to use a coupler.  A coupler holds the tip in place because otherwise with the pressure of squeezing out the frosting, the plastic bag can get stretched and out pops the tip (almost like childbirth...TMI). 



 I use the disposable pastry bags

This picture demonstrates how to begin piping the frosting.  After the outer lining is complete, I move inward, slightly overlapping on the outer layer as to get height.  


Here's my finished product.  


What's your go-to special occasion treat?


*The images are either from Google images or are my own...


No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz