Monday Munchies...

This recipe is a real winner-it's a true indulgence without the guilt!
All of us, kids included, have been enjoying our "chocolate bread" in the morning.

2 cups (12 oz) shredded, unpeeled zucchini
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup (4 oz) honey
1/2 cup (3 1/2 oz) canola oil
* I used non-sweetened applesauce
1/2 cup (3 3/4 oz) packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
* I did not use this
1/3 cup (1 oz) Dutch-process cocoa powder
* I used Hersheys
1 2/3 cups (7 1/8 oz) all-purpose flour
* I used whole wheat flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used minis)
* I used dark chocolate chips

When I made this recipe the first time, I followed the recipe, as per the astrics, but it turned out a little dry-still delicious.  So I made it a second time, 11/2 the zucchini-and it was much more moist.  

Shred the zucchini and wrap it in a paper towel.
This step is key-and I wish I would have heard about this trick earlier, I have stayed away from making zucchini bread for this reason!  You MUST soak the shredded zucchini in numerous paper towels until you feel the excess moisture has been soaked up.  I probably used 3-5 paper towels for this.


Whisk the eggs, honey, oil, brown sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl until well combined.



Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, cocoa powder, and flour, and whisk until just combined.


Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.



Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 for 65-75 minutes.  Mine did not take that long, so check earlier.


Do you have any "guilty" treats to share???


No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz