SPF: with Coverage

Happy hump day my friends!  Homeschooling is really taking it's toll on me!  8 weeks in, and I'm done.  I announced to my husband tonight, I just can't do this anymore-I can't! I guess I can do it for a few more weeks. The truth is, there's talk of a community summer camp since our Governor announced camps can open the end of May-and I know that means drop off and pick up, snacks and lunches, and a get-out-the-door morning, and as strange as it sounds, I'm enjoying the relaxed mornings, the excuses to stay home. 

But, as things start to open up again, and even on those camp drop offs and pick ups, we're going to find ourselves exposed to the sun!  May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and last week I gave a run down of skin cancer facts, tips and my favorite product recs, but today, I'm going to be sharing a few of the SPF options I've used that provide coverage. 



If you're like me, your skin needs some coverage.  I have always had acne prone skin, I even went on accutane in my late 20s!  Since then, my acne has lessened to an occasional breakout, and when I do have one, it sticks around for a much shorter amount of time.   What that means is, I can get away with less coverage, which is perfect for this time of quarantine.  It's also good for low key weekends-hopefully we'll be having many of those post-corona. 

If you're looking for a multi-use product, stick around for my experience with these popular SPF with coverage products!  

Let's first get the lingo correct: you might be asking yourself what's the difference between a tinted moisturizer, a BB cream and a CC cream?  A tinted moisturizer is meant to be a moisturizer first, with slight coverage as an added bonus.  A BB cream, aka beauty/blemish balm, is meant to be one of those unicorn products.  Providing more coverage than a tinted moisturizer, but not full coverage like a foundation, while also providing benefits like SPF and able to act as a primer. A CC cream, aka color correcting, is just meant to color correct imperfections as a way to perfect the face.

It's important to note, that when spending periods of time in the sun, reapplication is always necessary.  While an SPF in one of our daily products is definitely a way to make sure we have some protection, it can't be relied upon to provide adequate coverage in an all day in the sun way.  I shared my beach day SPF products HERE, as well as other daily sunscreen options HERE



One of the first products I used was Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.  The product has changed slightly since I used-it's no labeled as being oil free.  A few things to point out is that it is only SPF 20 with broad spectrum protection, many products on the market can offer higher SPF. and while many products are not specifically  non-comedogenic, it's something that's an added bonus if you can find a product you like that has that benefit. For me, this product was a huge bust. Because it's a tinted moisturizer, it offered too little coverage for me.  While I don't have constant acne, I do have redness to my skin with occasional breakouts, and this just couldn't cut it.



The next product I tried was Supergoop CC Cream.  It offers SPF 35 with broad spectrum protection. This might be the only Supergoop product I've ever really complained about.  It was very thick, so I found myself mixing it with a moisturizer to thin it out.  It also has limited color choices, so the light/medium was too dark for me.      



The most recent product I've been using, and it's now on the re-purchase list as my weekend/lighter makeup days, is the Dr. Jart BB beauty balm with SPF 45 with broad spectrum protection.  The color matches, the coverage is more than a tinted moisturizer, but less than a full coverage foundation, and the wear is fantastic. 

There are tons of SPF products with coverage that I can't wait to try!  I tend to stick to products with a minimum of SPF 30, and obviously the higher the better!  But, the quality, wear, and staying ability has to be good too!

What are your favorite SPF products with coverage?  



 

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz