Fun in the sun: Sunscreen


This is the first of a few hopeful sunscreen posts...maybe don't hold your breath though.  With summer rapidly approaching, that means there are many pool days ahead of us!  I've always been extremely sensitive to the sun, so sunscreen application was always a big one for me.  I also have acne prone skin, so I dreaded sunscreen on my face. But, this is a big one ladies and gents-facial sunscreen is important all year round.  Thankfully, a couple years ago I was introduced to Supergoop on one of my routine visits to Sephora, and it's been an answer from the makeup angels.  



Let's start with this one, my first Supergoop purchase.  The larger bottle is 3.4 oz and only $28, that's a steal!  This is a makeup setting spray that also has sunscreen.  I first picked this up because the moisturizer I was switching to no longer contained sunscreen in it, but a lot of times, adding sunscreen creates unwanted oil.  This product was a dream-I could use whatever moisturizer I wanted without needing to worry about if it contained sunscreen, and then I didn't have to add a product that might potentially disrupt my makeup!  This product never requires hands to touch your face, and it's a quick re-application that dries matte and it has a wonderful minty scent.  I also think this would be fabulous for kids! Here was my problem, I purchased this a couple times and both times my sprayer broke, leaving me unable to spray the mist!  For awhile I was pouring it onto my hands and then patting it into my face, but then this no longer was hands free application.  Aside from that, I wondered if the mist allowed me to actually apply the correct amount of sunscreen, and that seems to be an issue with mists-not enough or lack of coverage from mists are known to be an issue.  

   
After my mister kept breaking, I decided to try this Supergoop setting powder.  They came out with colors now, but this was the translucent for all skin colors.  So here's the deal...


That's the sunscreen-that little .15 oz container, costs $30.  The truth is I found this a little challenging to use.  You first insert the powder container into the bottom of the brush.  


 And then you twist it up, so it can then fill the brush. 

 

The brush has different ways to be twisted to work properly, and I just found it complicated to use.  Even though this was another hands free application option, and kid friendly, I still had the same question: was I applying enough sunscreen this way?  Ultimately, because of the price, the difficulty to apply, and the question about how much to apply-I returned it.  

These next two Supergoop products are really a tie for me in terms of performance.  


There's something really fun about this mousse application. It has a really awesome scent, and once it's "broken down" beyond it's mousse status, it applies and feels like a cream/liquid.  For 3.4 oz, which is the smaller bottle, the cost is $19.  I was skeptical, but I have to say sunscreen mousse really performed well with my primer routine and it did not affect my makeup.  You can check out other popular primers I tried too! 

I've been alternating between the mousse and this sunscreen.


2.4 oz is $19.  

I have to say that the mousse and this sunscreen perform the same once they're applied to your face.  I have continuously alternated and attempted to find some difference to help me decide on one vs the other, and I can't.  The prices are also so similar if you buy in their respective increments.  

One of the products pictured, I never tried before returning.  


So, I opted not to try this product.  I knew I was going to return it, so I didn't feel right opening it and trying it just for the sake of this post.  By the way, Sephora will take back open and used products if it's mostly full and returned within 60 days. This product has Vitamin C, and I just didn't want to venture into the Vitamin C realm yet.  And I again questioned the amount that was being applied since it's a mist.  

I am a loyal Sephora shopper, but if you find a product is sold out there, check out Derm Store!  They even have their own rewards program, carry a lot of the typical brands-and even some off the beaten path ones.   Some lines have additional products that aren't sold at Sephora, but you can find them at the Derm Store.  I can't wait to show you what I've tried from them! 

If you're new to applying facial sunscreen, and looking for a quick fix, try this Clarins sunscreen add-in.  I used this for years, and loved it.  But, after realizing I needed to switch to a water based moisturizer, I wanted to try to keep the new moisturizer as-is, so as not to impact it's true affect.  

If have questions about how to wear sunscreen, or you just need some convincing to wear sunscreen, check out these facts from The American Academy of Dermatology.  

Happy Pool Days!






No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz