Monday Munchies....

Anyone else one of those people where if their routine is thrown off by the slightest bit, it throws everything off?  Just me?  Well, just as I sat down write this post, Simmy woke up crying, and well, there went my Monday post...so, here's a Monday Munchies on a Tuesday. 

 A sweet side dish is a must for us at our Shabbos table.  So when I decided to cut back on the amount of dishes, I knew that I would still be making something that fit that bill.  I have made apple kugel quite a bit recently, so I wanted to change it up, but I still needed an easy recipe.  

What's nice about this recipe is that it can almost be a one-bowl prep, aside for melting the margarine, which is pretty simple.  It also has a veggie component without requiring all the prep work.  You can make some swaps for healthy alternatives, and it's super kid friendly. I did not top the kugel with cornflakes, rather just cinnamon.  



4 4oz jars baby food carrots
11/2 sticks margarine 
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 large eggs
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup brown sugar 
2 cups cornflakes 

I melted the margarine, and then added it to a bowl with the carrots, sugar, flour, eggs, milk and brown sugar.  The original recipe calls for melting 1/2 cup of the margarine, and then later on melting the remaining margarine with the brown sugar, but I skipped that part, and it all combined effortlessly- reduce the amount of margarine you use because 4 tablespoons is for coating the cornflakes, and you can chose to add the brown sugar into the mix or leave it out if you don't coat the cornflakes. I mistakenly, in my rush of cooking, added the brown sugar into the batter instead of withholding it since I wasn't using the topping, and it still turned out great.  

Pour into a greased 9inch pan-I used a round casserole dish and bake at 350 for about an hour. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz