SPF at the Beach

While my summer is winding down, many of you are in the midst of all your summer adventures!  Don't worry, we made sure to get some traveling in before we needed to hunker down before the biggest adventure of the summer...if you know what I mean! This summer, we headed to Carolina Beach in North Carolina.  A great time was had by all, and I think that is partially due to no sunburns this time!

If you know me, you know that I'm extremely fair skinned, and truth be told-I've always embraced it.  When tanning beds were a thing, I never desired to step foot in one.  And I can honestly say I have no idea how tan I can get-because I don't enjoy the outdoors.  I seriously believe I'm allergic to the sun...too much of it and I break out in a rash!  And also consistent with my anxious personality, I am extremely cautious when it comes to sun exposure.  So it should be no surprise to you that finding the best sunscreen to wear while at the beach was definitely a priority. 

I've already shared with you my experiences with different "every day" sunscreens, you can find it HERE. But the goal while on the beach is different...I definitely required a higher SPF since I would be spending longer periods of time directly in the sunlight, and even though I wouldn't be wearing makeup, it had to sit nicely on my face-and stay feeling light and non-greasy.  And as always, ease of application as well as the ability to put on the proper amount of product are concerns too. 


These were the five SPF products I specifically packed with me for the beach!  All of them were either sent to me in one of two subscription boxes, or they were a free gift with purchase. 



If you don't know by now, I love Supergoop products.  It's true that not every product has been a winner, but I've been using some sort of SPF product of theirs on the daily for years now and have preferred it over any other sunscreen I've tried.  So I was mighty excited for free gift of this Lip & Cheek Treatment with SPF 40.  I wouldn't specifically look for an spf blush or lip product, but when I know I'll be sitting out in the sun, I definitely want that lip coverage!  I wish it was in a stick applicator though that way I wouldn't have to use my fingers. 


I received these two Coola products at separate times in my subscription boxes.  The Classic Sunscreen definitely fits it's name.  It has spf 50, with a reapplication time of 80 minutes, but it is not non-comedogenic, which means it doesn't specifically not clog pores.  It looks very thick and creamy, and has a nice cucumber-plant scent, but it doesn't apply like a thick cream, it was very runny so it took some time to be absorbed.  I wore this a few times at the beach without makeup, and I have to say it's "wearability" was disappointing.  It felt very oily and tacky and wet and therefore it was not a comfortable wear.  I was constantly touching my face, feeling the greasiness.  I also tried this Coola makeup setting spray. It only has SPF 30, which is on the lower end for when you need true day long SPF coverage and again, it is not non-comedogenic.  However, the ease of application is what makes this product worthwhile.  If you have an outdoor event and you're wearing a full face of makeup, this hands free application is golden, and it has a pleasant scent.  It did still have a slight typical "SPF feel" but it wasn't nearly as noticeable as the classic sunscreen.


The next SPF product I tried on the beach was this Eau Thermale Avene with SPF 50.  This product is actually non-comedogenic and needs reapplied every 80-120 minutes.  It has a thicker consistency so it sets quicker and easier.  And, the best part is, it didn't leave me feeling greasy or with a thick heaviness.  There seems to be a lot of products on their website, I can't wait to browse around!


The last sunscreen I tried while at the beach was this Elta MD SPF 46.  To be honest, I had tried their tinted version and this version awhile back, but didn't love the wear of it, so I returned it.  I got this as a sample with a Sephora purchase, and people are always raving about it, so I figured I'd give it another go.  The SPF is high enough, is non-comedogenic and is specifically formulated for problematic skin types like acne, rosacea, and hyperpigmentation.  It really fits the bill, but I didn't love the wear of it. It still had a slightly greasy feel to it-not as much as the Coola products, but more than the Eau Thermale Avene.  

All in all, I recommend the Eau Thermale Avene sunscreen.  It truly is the best purchase: It has high SPF, can be reapplied in longer stretches, is non-comedogenic so it won't clog your pores, it definitely does not leave a greasy feel to it, and the best part-of all the SPF options listed here, this one is considered a generic brand, can be found at your local stores, and is the cheapest in cost, so how could you go wrong?!? 

Skincare, specifically sun skin care is something I'm extremely passionate about.  I'm always looking for better performing products that give me the coverage I need but also keep me looking great.  I can't wait to continue my search and share it all with you!  




No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz