Monday Munchies...cereal chicken

Do you ever get in a rut with cooking?  I often times find that I am forever making the same week after week.  I want a change, but just don't have the energy to.  If this sounds familiar, I've found your new chicken recipe.  It's a twist on the classic schnitzle.  For those that don't know what schnitzle is, it's thinned and breaded chicken breast, but instead of using a bread crumb or just a plain flour and egg combination, you use cereal.  And not only did I use cereal, I used...frosted flakes!



Crispy Baked Cereal Chicken
4 cups crispy cereal, like Rice Chex (I used Frosted Flakes)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk (I used Rice milk)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

For starters, have a I mentioned I used Frosted Flakes?  Ok good, I wasn't sure!  This adds that extra sweetness, and people love it! Just crush these up in a bag-and it doesn't have to be finely crushed either, and then add in the spices.  I used garlic powder and regular salt-I don't have so many different versions of salted spices. Pour this into a bowl of choice.  Next you combine the egg and milk in a bowl. I found there was way too much left over milk, so I'm not sure if next time I would do it with just an egg, or I have made a recipe where you just use water, but I didn't find that it helped the cereal stick to the chicken.

The original recipe calls for chicken breasts that you coat whole.  When I bread my chicken like this, I prefer it in strips. It goes much further in feeding a larger crowd, plus you never know if everyone will want such a big piece.  I first cut my chicken into strips-about three to four strips per breast.  Then you coat the chicken pieces in the milk/egg mixture and then roll it in the cereal mixture.  I already said that I didn't find this did such a good job getting the cereal to coat, and when I was done, I patted the leftover crushed cereal onto the strips of chicken which helped give the chicken additional cereal coverage. 

You then back these on a sprayed baking tray, with a pre-heated oven at 375.  Typically, the chicken is cooked in 40 minutes, but you're looking for nicely browned and crispy looking cereal.  My kids and DrH raved about how great this was-of course they tasted fresh out of the oven, but my Shabbos guests and my children devoured this up in one meal!  Your family and guests will definitely appreciate this recipe, and I will be making this again, probably for a Friday night when I get to eat it fresh!




No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz