Monday Munchies: Old Fashioned Ice Cream Soda

Happy Monday all! I hope those of you who experienced the heat wave this past weekend are recovering nicely today.   Since we've been buying more than our fair share of ice cream, I figured what better recipe to share than this old fashioned ice cream soda recipe?!? We can blame it on the pregnancy hormones!  

I first got an inkling to try this recipe on one of our recent ice cream outings with the kids-I love taking them out for ice cream, but the local ice cream shoppe is quite pricey, although it is definitely delicious and probably worth it.  But, I struggled with my desire to buy an ice cream drink because of the even higher cost! I remember growing up, my mom always told me the ice cream drinks were easy to make at home, so I decided to give that a whirl. 

The kids were excited to get in on creating the drinks, and I found them so easy to put together, and so refreshing we've made them a few times. The ingredients are so cheap, you can make tons of kiddie sized ice cream sodas for less than the cost of one at an ice cream shoppe! 



3/4 cup chocolate syrup (I didn't bother measuring the syrup)
1 cup milk (I used whole milk)
2 2/3 cups chocolate ice cream (use however much you need given the size of your cup)
whipped cream (I did not use any)

First, figure out the cups you'll be using and cover the bottom with however much chocolate syrup you'd like.  You don't want to be too skimpy because you need the chocolate syrup to flavor the liquid mixture you pour in.  



Then, fill your cup with the desired amount of ice cream.  



Mix the milk and the seltzer, and then pour into each cup.  I have to be honest, the thought of mixing milk with water, seemed less than appealing-just don't think too much about it!  It really ends up being a truly tasty treat! 



Top with whipped cream or more chocolate syrup.  Keep extra liquid mixture handy, because once you start drinking, you most likely will drink faster than it melts, and this ensures a tasty beverage! 

Stay cool!

      

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz