Skin Cancer Awareness Month

How is everyone feeling now that we're halfway through the week? #humpday

I'm really excited about today's post because sun safety is something I'm extremely passionate about.  Now that the weather is getting warmer and the kids are spending a lot more time outside, it reminded me that I need to be more on top of their sunscreen game.  Which got me curious, and it turns out, that May is Skin Cancer Awareness month!  I can't wait to share some important information with you, link you to my past posts on sun safety, and share my updated list of recommended products! 

May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month - Memorial Healthcare

 I wouldn't classify my skin as "sensitive" to topical products, but I'm very sensitive to heat and the sun so I don't really tan, rather I burn.  I've always been known, and made fun of, for my paleness, but it never bothered me.  When I've had too much sun, the exposed parts become very itchy and I break out in a raised sort of rash. Because of this, I've always been on top of my SPF game-long before SPF was known as an anti-aging product, and because of my sensitivity, it's easy for me to avoid the sun. If you know me in real life, you also know that I hate being hot.

Let's get down to some facts:

  • skin cancer is the most prevalent form of cancer in the United States  
  • 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer by the age of 70
  • 5 or more sunburns doubles your risk 
  • almost all skin cancer cases are from exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun 
 There are so many products with such varying claims, let's get them all straight.  
  • There are two types of sunscreen: physical, which blocks, and chemical, which absorbs 
  •  The SPF number indicates how much protection it gives from UVB rays
  • Broad spectrum sunscreen protects against UVB and UVA rays. 
  • Water resistant (40 minutes vs 80 minutes) is how long the product will last on wet skin
Sunscreen, SPF and skin care can be very overwhelming, so let me share some rules of thumb.  
  • always use an SPF of at least 15, even in the winter, every day
  • a nickle sized amount should go on your face
  • 2 tablespoons is what should cover your body, apply 30 minutes before outdoor activity
  • re-application depends on your need (time, activity, type of product used)  
One last thing we didn't talk about, is the importance of a yearly skin check.  I have a lot of freckles and moles, so I've always, from the time I can remember, seen a dermatologist yearly. It's one of those annual tests I dread, but I breathe a huge sigh of relief when it's over.  People often associate skin cancer with a simple procedure to remove it, and unfortunately that's not always the case.  In the United States, more than two people die every hour from skin cancer.  If you've never gone, it's not too late!  If you do get regular skin checks, that doesn't mean you leave it for once a year-you should always be monitoring for changes in your skin.  I am due for my annual skin check, but I noticed a new spot last week, and promptly made my appointment for this Friday.  Skin cancer is common, preventable, and curable. It should be noted that hormonal changes can change your existing moles as well as cause you to develop new ones, so be on the lookout!  

Of course, I love all things beauty, so I can't wait to share the products I'm using, but I just want to share one last statistic.  With society so focused on youth-firm, wrinkle free, plump, glowing-90% of the skin's aging is from damage from the sun!  I'm definitely not sad about my lack of interest in the sun!    

The last time we went to the beach, I tried out a bunch of sunscreens and wrote about it here.  Of all the products I tried, I have been continuing to use one of the products.  

It appears that they may not be making this product anymore, I'll have to do some research.  But, not to worry, there's a whole line of sunscreen products I love!  I wrote about it here.  If I can't find this product, I will resort to one of Supergoop's products!  

Ironically, I recently tried out a new product from Supergoop, and I love it! 


 It doesn't have the same "credentials" as the one above-it isn't non-comedogenic, and it's only 40 minutes water resistant as oppose to 80, but the wear and texture are fabulous. 

 

I don't use these products interchangeably-they each fill a specific need.  The Eau Thermale Avene is what I put on when I'm going to be wearing foundation.  I use the Supergoop  on days I don't put on makeup.  

And for those inbetween days where I need some coverage, but I'm not looking to do a full out beauty routine, I've been using Dr. Jart BB cream


 I was rather surprised that I was able to benefit from a BB cream! I've always relied on full coverage foundation, so this was a nice surprise.  It's not full coverage, but more than some other "tinted" products.  


The application is easy, with a color choice that actually matched mine, and the wear is perfect.  It doesn't feel heavy or greasy, my makeup goes on well and lasts.  

One last product I want to touch on, is a new product I'm trying,  My Sol Stick



I was looking for an SPF product for the delicate places like lips and eye lids.  Preferably, I wanted one product for both.  I did some research, and came across this one.  I have only tried it once, but the smell is heavenly.  To be clear, this is for eyelids and lips when I'm going to be getting direct sun exposure.  There are plenty of products for eyes and lips, but this is what I settled on.  And truth be told, I might keep this in my car for that quick extra touch of sunscreen since most windows don't protect against the harmful UVB/UVA rays; I have actually gotten sunburned while driving! 

I can't wait to share more on how we protect our skin, and of course, recommend more awesome products!  Thank you to The Skin Cancer Foundation for making such awesome and helpful information accessible to all of us!  Head on over for even more life-saving tips!    

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz