Monday Munchies...

Today's Monday Munchie is a soft, chewy, yummy, drool worthy cookie.  But let me back up-I'm a huge chocolate fan, so when I tell you what the recipe is, this is so not like me.  I also have become a fan of using real butter in recipes that are not going to be eaten at meat meals.  If that last sentence confuses you, read this. 

A few months ago, my mother in law gave us a big bag of raisins.  To some of you, that might seem like a great, kid-friendly, healthy snack. But to those of us whose kids have undergone dental work, raisins are like tiny little devils! Dried fruit is a big no-no for kids teeth because it's filled with sugar and gets stuck! So I let my kids eat a few handfuls, and then I confiscated politely took it away, never to be seen again...well, until today! I had been promising them for months at this point that we'd make oatmeal raisin cookies. What better of an excuse than a big bag of raisins?!? None I tell ya! 

I randomly searched and picked the first recipe that came up. 
Unfortunately, my camera was on manual focus, but I didn't know this-all I knew was every picture was coming out blurry! Thankfully we figured it out in time for a final picture!

1 cup butter, softned 
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar 
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
11/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats 

In your mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. One at a time, beat in the eggs and then the vanilla.  

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and then slowly add it into the butter mixture.  

Add in the oats, cover and chill for at least one hour, then drop walnut sized balls of dough two inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes (I needed about 12) in a preheated oven of 350 degrees. 

Seems simple enough right? But, here's where we get serious! These cookies just seemed like they were missing a little something.  I started thinking, and then it finally clicked-any good oatmeal raisin cookie needs a glaze! So...

2 cups powdered sugar 
3 tablespoons milk

I didn't find that to be enough milk, so I added more, slowly, until the powdered sugar became a thick, yet spreadable glaze. You don't want it so thick it's clumpy, but you also don't want it so thin it runs off the cookie! I spread it with a spoon and was able to put on as much as I wanted. However, part of the beauty of this cookie is being able to the formation of the cookie, so I would scrape the glaze around the cookie and then off as need be to allow that texture to show through.  



Everyone raved about these cookies; next time I end up with a bag of raisins, I know what I'll be baking!

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz