Monday Munchies...

Even though we're well on our way to winter wonderland, it still feels very much like fall! So I don't think it's too bad I'm sharing a fall apple recipe; you'll thank me later!

Apple picking is usually a fall tradition in almost everyone's families; ours included.  We cannot eat any baked or cooked goods other than from a kosher venue or vendor, so eating the traditional apple picking goodies are out for us.  Which is why I used the fruits of our labor at my first attempt at apple fritters. The apple is a surprising little fruit, I always go for the chocolate dessert, but whenever I do end up being forced to eatung an apple dessert, I'm reminded just how delicious they really are.  At first I was skeptical, but these did not disappoint!




1 quart vegetable oil for frying 
11/2 cups flour 
1 tablespoon white sugar 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten 
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cups apples-peeled, cored and chopped 
1 cup cinnamon sugar 


Heat the oil to 375 degrees. I don't have a thermometer for cooking.  When it comes to heating oil, I do the water test-flick some water onto the heating oil and if it sizzles, then it's ready. 

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Then pour in the milk, eggs and oil and stir until blended. Then, add in the apples and mix.

Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry until brown on both sides, about five minutes.  I had difficulty dropping spoonfuls in because it fell off the spoon in more of a drizzle, and it wouldn't solidify into the proper shape. I think next time I'll use another spoon to help the batter move off of the spoon quicker.  The batter should really float in the oil, and eventually the bottoms will turn a respectable shade of brown that you'll recognize.  Use a slotted spoon to take them out of the oil.    This is definitely a necessity-you need your spoon to be large enough that it can safely remove it from the boiling oil! Place the freshly removed fritter onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels, and when cooled briefly, roll it in cinnamon sugar. Once it cools, cinnamon and sugar won't be able to stick to it, but you definitely need to give it time to cool!  

Eat while still warm! I lost count of how many I had that day.  
As I was making them, I remember telling my friend that I was skeptikal of how they would turn out, I'd be lucky if they were even somewhat close to tasting like a fritter; but I can say that when it came time to eat them, they were definitely all I dreamed an apple fritter would be. 





No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz