Monday Munchies...

 This week I'm sharing my new fave challah recipe with you.  You can check out this recipe, but I promise, this is easier, faster, tastier and kills it in the looks department, like I can't get over it every time if comes out of the oven!  And it tastes pretty darn good!  
I didn't realize until later in life, like high school, that non Jews are into HOLLA bread, but if you don't have the religious need for challah, rather you want some holla french toast, I promise you, this is your recipe! What is really, really, really fabulous, is that this recipe only uses 4 cups of flour-so it's perfect for small mixers, small ovens, and small freezers!  




2 teaspoons instant yeast 
1 cup warm water
4 cups flour 
1/4+1 teaspoon cup sugar 
2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1 yolk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Egg wash and toppings:
1 egg
Optional toppings: cinnamon and sugar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everything topping 

The first step in making any dough is making a starter from your yeast.  This is how you check to see if your yeast is good, otherwise, your dough won't rise. In a small bowl, combine the yeast, water and 1 teaspoon of sugar.  I've found that warm water is best-cold will work, but hot will kill the yeast.  I also add some sugar (even if it's not called for in the recipe).  I let this sit for 10 minutes and then I check in; if it's bubbling, it's good yeast! Otherwise, toss and start 
over.

In an electric mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt.  Add the eggs, yolk and oil and mix to combine.  Then, add in the yeast mixture.  Use the dough hook attachment to knead the dough for 6-8 minutes on a low speed.  

Once the dough looks like it's holding a solid shape, use an oil spray, like PAM, and lightly spray on all surfaces of the dough so it does not stick to the bowl.  Cover with a towel and keep in a warm place.  I like to run my oven while letting my dough rise.  The dough should rise, and double in size, over the course of 11/2-2 hours.

Once the dough has doubled, you can make it into the sizes and shapes that you desire.  Round, braided, rolls, or ninja turtles like my kids desire.  Once you're finished shaping your challahs, spray your baking pan and place your challah in, cover for about another hour to allow for additional rising time.  

Once the challah has completely risen, make an egg wash of one egg, and brush it over the challah.  You can then top, or not, with whatever you choose.  I like cinnamon and sugar, but for those who prefer a more savory topping, an everything topping of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and minced garlic might do the trick. You could also leave it just egg washed, and enjoy it plain.  

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops are browned.  


No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz