Monday Munchies...

When I travel back to NY, for those of you who've been around for awhile, you know that I like to bring in some goodies for the staff. Of course, only home made goodies are acceptable. But, I'm often left wondering what's something new and exciting, but won't take the whole night? As it is, I usually bake well into the night, surely I can't spend hours.  I have a Nestle Toll House Best Loved Recipes that I decided I would look through to find a new, tasty cookie.  Cookies are easy because the dough is made quickly, and bake time is much shorter than a cake and I can use disposable cookie sheets so all in all, I can get most of it done within an hour-an hour and a half. 

This recipe takes your classic chocolate chip cookie up a notch! It was so soft and chewy, and the coconut added just a hint of different flavor.  It was noticeable, but I think even someone who claims they aren't a coconut lover, would still love these.  




Island Cookies
1 2/3 cups flour 
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened (or margarine) 
3/4 cups packed brown sugar 
1/3 cup granulated sugar 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1 large egg
1 3/4 Nestle Milk Chocolate Chips (I used semi-sweet non-dairy chips)
1 cup flaked coconut, toast if desired 
1 cup chopped walnuts (I omit nuts due to allergies)
Preheat the oven to 375.  

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  

In the mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla until creamy.  Beat in the egg.  Slowly add in the flour mixture.  

Stir in the chips, coconut and walnuts if desired.  

Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased baking  sheets.  

Bake for 8-11 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.  Start with 8 minutes because I had some burnt ones-even at the 11 minute mark, and you definitely don't want burnt cookies! 

Let cookies cool before moving to cool on a wire rack/second plate.  



Obviously, these can and will be eaten warm, at least some of them! 

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz