Newborn Essentials

Untitled #20


As we approach two months with Simmy, I wanted to share some newborn essentials-most of which are pictured here.  I will say that just because I'm sharing it with you here, doesn't mean I've used it and loved it-it just means that these are the items I got in preparation for a new baby.  Some of it I use and love, some of it I got because I thought it was...well...essential.  

Sleeping
 When I was pregnant the first time, I got an arms reach co-sleeper.  This was supposed to be ideal for mimicking co-sleeping, but creating the safest environment.  Moshe slept a mixture of in the co-sleeper and in my bed, but by the time he was three months old, he had given every indication he was ready to sleep in his crib, in his own room #independence.  He transitioned easily into his crib, and began sleeping through the night.  I enjoyed the co-sleeping, but didn't complain when he moved onto bigger and better things.  Again, I set up the co-sleeper with Dovy, but actual co-sleeping won out, for much, much longer (18 months precisely) and the co-sleeper just collected clean laundry.  With Hannah, I had gotten rid of the co-sleeper and immediately co-slept.  She also quickly made her way into her own crib.  However, this time-having full blown anxiety my entire pregnancy, the thought of co-sleeping was not sitting well with me.  I know there are risks, I know there are people who swear by safe co-sleeping, I just didn't want to jump right into it.  I wanted to be sure I had a safe sleeping place.  We have extremely limited side space, so any bedside bassinet/pack n play was out-but this SwaddleMe Deluxe By Your Side sleeper was the answer. It didn't take up too much space on the bed, it has a flat/firm mattress with mesh sides, and it even comes with an attachment that plays sound, has a light and a two-setting vibration speed.  For us, this was the perfect answer, but...Simmy has reflux and really has a hard time sleeping laying flat.  I was ecstatic to learn recently that the same company makes an actual free standing bassinet that has a two-position incline.  I just bought this from Amazon and I can't wait to see if Simmy likes it.  It may or may not fit beside my bed, but she's sleeping for longer periods of time, and I'm healed and able to move around much easier.  I'm hoping that this incline improves her sleeping.  

The Miracle blanket is true to it's name-a miracle!  The fabric is breathable, but also has stretch to it so you can be sure the baby feels secure and snug.  The sleep sacs with velcro arms just don't give them the same security and I found them not to work as well. 

Gear
Gear is a highly personalized topic.  Needs, wants and each family's situations vary so much, but this is what works for us.  One of the reasons I have so many different options is because I live in a two-story house. Before, when  I lived in an apartment, putting the baby to sleep in the room was only a few steps away from the rest of my entire apartment-now it's much further away, and I can't see or hear her. So, I want a lot of options, in almost all places, to put her in.  In my room I keep the Mamaroo.  Hannah loved this, so I took a risk, I know not all babies love it.  So far, it has been an early morning life saver.  Because she was so tiny when she was born, I went ahead and bought the newborn insert, which made her much more secure.  

I've always had a swing, just as another place to put the baby down.  This resides in our living room.  Simmy doesn't love it, but I hope she grows into it. Again, having a safe place to put the baby down in, in all the possible locations is extremely helpful.  

This is my first time with a Rock 'n Play and I've loved it. Initially, Simmy was sleeping in this because she had such bad reflux and was just too little to deal with it, I couldn't lay her down flat without fear of her choking on her own reflux. Then, this traveled with me downstairs and I am able to take her all over-the kitchen, the office, the basement-it just folds up, has a battery operated vibrator, and she really loves this. 

I am not into baby wearing-not because I don't believe in it, or because I don't see the benefits, I just feel that it inhibits me and makes it harder than easier.  But, I figured, with four, and often times being alone, I'm heavily outnumbered and buying a carrier would probably be something I needed as oppose to wanted.  I have no patience for baby wraps, and Ergo is supposed to have very supportive and functional baby carriers.  This is their new Omni carrier-the only one that's meant for 7lbs without an insert, and allows the child to be worn in all four positions-inward, outward, on the hip, and on the back.  So far, I've worn it once out of necessity.  I don't find baby wearing comfortable, but I found the carrier itself to be very secure for the baby and I felt like my back and shoulders were very supported.  It was also nice not to have to worry about another part-the newborn insert, which is needed in their other carries for a baby so small.  Simmy fell well below 6lbs, so she was too small to go into it for awhile.  I'm sure this will get lots of use in the future-I already think I need to bring it out so I can manage the kids while they sit around the table doing homework-Simmy loves to be held.

Care Items

First of all, I am a diaper snob-I use Pampers for the newborn stage, and I switch to Huggies beyond that.  Hannah had allergic reactions to off-brand diapers, and I just have resolved myself to spending money on the most hypo-allergenic care items.  

I love Mustela products. They are great for sensitive skin, have a wide range of products and lines (they have a line specifically for eczema prone babies and a line for extra-sensitive skin) plus the smell is just heavenly on a baby.  This no-rinse cleanser is for sure, hands down, my favorite.  When there's no time for a bath, or they spit up right after a bath-right, we've all been there-this is a fabulous way for a quick wipe down. Adult skin care has finally jumped on the micellar water, and this product is genious.  My older kids use it, and I've even used it.  I would definitely keep this on hand for kids of any age.  I use this gel for the bath, and this lotion for post bath.  When Simmy has dry skin on her head and face, I use this oil right after her bath.  

Babies are born with the natural sucking reflex.  I know there are a lot of opinions on when it's ok to introduce a pacifier so it doesn't cause nipple confusion with breast feeding, but I've always introduced the pacifier within the first week to help with their need for constant sucking.  All my kids have used the paci: Moshe used it for a few weeks, Dovy a few months, Hannah at some point early transitioned to her thumb, and so far we're two months in and Simmy prefers these pacies and she uses them most of the time.  

I love these burp cloths (their actually cloth diapers) because their three-ply allows them to be more absorbent.  A lot of the burp cloths on the market now are single layer muslin cloths-they just are absorbent.  These are also plenty comfy and soft.  

I've had this whale bathtub with all four kids and it's just a no-frills, cheap bathtub with an infant insert.  In that sense, I think it's the most practical and serves the purpose and has the ability for the most long term usage.  

   Not Pictured

I've definitely fallen for a lot more of the gimmicks this time around. Part of it is because I know I might not have another baby and I just want to indulge in all things baby.  Part of it is because some of it is practical.  Like these pacifier cleaning wipes-between all the times Marshall has gotten Simmy's pacifier, her spitting it out and the little fingers that touch it, these have definitely come in handy.  The pouch it comes in isn't so easy to open, so I might try a different brand when these run out, but the item itself is a must.  

My babies don't get terrible diaper rash, but sometimes there's irritation, or just as a preventative measure-like a long overnight, I'll use this diaper rash cream. I've found that Triple Paste is hands down, by far the best!  

When I registered at Buy Buy Baby, I got samples of the WaterWipe-the most natural wipe on the market, made of 99.9% water. On a whim I bought a box on Amazon, and I have to say I have noticed much less redness when using these wipes, so I'll definitely be buying these again.  

Of course we got a car seat and a stroller, but those items are purchased much more based on personal preference, not because one is better than the other.  I knew I needed an infant car seat that was able to fit into an adapter that connects to my already purchased Bugaboo stroller. Let me just say, I have been converted from Graco thanks to this awesome Chicco car seat.  I can't believe how light it is, and my husband can't believe the ease he was able to install it.   

What are your favorite newborn items?  I will be back with another essentials post as Simmy grows and we try out new products!



No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz