Hospital Bags

Hi everyone! Today I'm popping in to share what I took with me to the hospital.  This is a fairly talked about topic, because it can be very overwhelming. Mainly because there are so many different variables to be taken into consideration!  What will the hospital provide? What are your personal preferences? what are the necessities??? Have no fear because today, I'm not only going to share with you what I took in my hospital bags, but I'm also going to share what you might want to bring because hey, we're different.  I don't care as much about my shower, but I made sure to bring my makeup...and things like that.  
Let's get crackin' 


I packed in two separate bags: mine, and baby's.  I used a duffel bag for myself and a larger carry-all bag for the baby.  The reason you want to pack separately is because you don't need any baby stuff in Labor and Delivery, so when you're in the moment, you'll end up carrying a lot of unnecessary items. In fact, you don't need much for yourself even in Labor and Delivery, but you might want some of your stuff sooner than you'll need anything for the baby, so it might be nice to have it brought straight to your room after you have the baby.  

Labor & Delivery/Post Partum Bag-what I brought
Labor: 
 I did not bring anything for labor this time.  I planned on an epidural even before they started pitocin, so I didn't need anything to "help" with labor.  My husband also works in the hospital I delivered in, so I knew he would be able to fend for himself if he needed a snack.  I also hired a birth photographer (can't wait to share those with Simmy's birth story!) so I knew we didn't need the camera or video camera.  These are items that I would bring had my labor/birthing situation been different. But in addition to this, I am also ok with hospital provided items like the gowns, pillows and blankets, and toiletries.  

Postpartum:
1.  Nursing tank tops.  This time around I opted for these nursing tank tops from Motherhood Maternity because I wanted an extra layer since it was the winter.  Because I end up needing a lot of support from my bra, which nothing build in, or without underwire can provide, it wasn't worth it for me to spend the money on a nicer nursing tank top.  I also can't use these as every day shirts under cardigans/open shirts either since they don't provide enough support. But I will wear them as pajamas...
2.  Nursing bra.  I brought this one just in case I didn't end up wearing the tank top home.  
2. Zip-up jacket.  This is nice just to have as an extra layer.  You might not use it, but I felt much more comfortable with my jacket on over my tank top, and you can leave it open, or zip it up.  I have a maternity one I've worn after each delivery from Destination Maternity, but this one looks especially comfortable.
3.  Comfortable pants.  You'll be spending most of your 1-2 days sitting in bed.  You will definitely want comfortable pajama pants.  I hadn't seen anything that fit the bill, so I bought these from Destination Maternity.  They are so comfortable, I'm even wearing them now, but they do pill...
4.  Makeup.  After Moshe, I saw the pictures from when I was in the hospital, and I vowed never again would I look like death in the hospital.  So, I pack makeup.  I packed my compact that allowed for less products, but it definitely helped me feel freshened up when the kids arrived, and hey, when you look good, you feel good!  
5.  Jewelry.  Earrings are a quick, easy, no fuss way to add some bling to feel more put together. I had attempted to get a new pair of earrings to wear in delivery, but these were not available at Nordstrom. I did wear my rings to the delivery, but I ended up taking them off because I was just uncomfortable.  However, if you end up needing a c-section, they have to be removed.  If you can't remove them, they'll cut them off, so plan your jewelry accordingly.
6.  Going home outfit.  You will want this to be a comfy, yet put together outfit. I wore leggings, a black skirt, a shirt I've worn home after every baby, but this year I added this jacket because of the weather.   
 7.  Chap stick.  Chapped lips are the worse; this is the lip product I brought with me. 

Labor & Delivery/Post Partum Bag-what you might want

Labor:
1.  Hospital gown.  There's not two ways about it, hospital gowns are drab.  If you're into fashion, bring your own!
2.  Money.  Change is specifically helpful for vending machines.  
3.  Snacks.  Even though we can't eat, there's no reason for your support person/team to be #hangry.  Just make sure they save or buy something good for you post delivery. Nothing tastes better than that first meal/snack!
4.  Technology.  You definitely want to have fully charged and ample space to take pictures and videos of this time.  Trust me, memories fade, and even though it's not your prettiest moment, you'll want to remember this forever.  
5.  Your favorite pillow or blanket. This will probably help you feel more comfortable and help you relax better while in labor.  I need very flat pillows, fluffy pillows hurt my neck, so if you know something will help you be the most comfortable, do not hesitate to bring it.
6.  Music.  No one can deny that music helps support/enhance an emotional time.  If you plan on an unmedicated labor/birth, pick music that will help you get in the mood, focus, dig deep, and get the job done.  I even had some music picked out to play had I wanted it.  

Postpartum:
1..  Underwear.  TMI: I'm still wearing the hospital mesh panties, because #comfort but, if you don't want to roll that way, buy some larger grannie-panties.  The reason I like the mesh underwear is because it gives you a lot more coverage and allows for the hospital pads which give you a lot more protection.  It's also nice to not have anything push on your stomach-even if you don't have a c-section your lower stomach area is sore, your uterus is sore!  Another score about the mesh panties is that they don't push on your still pregnant looking belly so I think that helps with how you look post-partum.  
2.  Pads.  You will need extra heavy pads initially, but not for long. I used the hospital ones, and truthfully am using them until they run, even though I don't need that much protection. 
3. Nursing pads.  Just for extra protection.  I prefer these.
4.  Nipple cream.  #freshlynursednips enough said.  I always buy a tube of this, it lasts forever and then some.  These look soothing, but I've never tried.  
5.  Belly binder.  I tried several off-brands after I had Moshe, and the truth is, I don't think it made a bit of difference.  First of all, it's uncomfortable.  If no one told you, post birth sweats are the worst.  I was sweating, and itching and the last thing I needed was to be tightly bound in some non-breathing material. I could never tolerate it.  I also think it looks hideous under clothes-it's definitely noticeable.  It also impacts nursing because you can't easily move.  Spoiler alert: I ended up skinnier than I was before I was pregnant, without a belly binder.  Post babies two and three, I also ended up just as skinny.  But, if you want to try, these look like good ones to check out. 
6.  Bed clothes.  Hospital sleep sucks.  Between the beds, constant beeping and checking on you, plus a new baby, you won't get much sleep. But it's helpful to bring the comfort items that will help make sleep more possible. 
7. Toiletries.  If you are picky about your toiletries, bring them in travel size, or find reusable travel size containers to pack in.  You can find travel sizes at Target, and sometimes your local store.  Check out this Amazon page if you want an easy way to shop travel size toiletries.  Here's the thing though-while you might really love your shampoo, and feel like it transforms your shower...you're first post-birth shower might not blow your socks off.  In some hospitals, they keep the water at a certain temperature because you might burn yourself #eyeroll...but it's the truth.  You might not get that extra steamy shower.  You also might be weak, or sore and if there isn't a shower seat, you might not be able to stand.  I've had all of these scenarios happen, so you just never know.  

A lot of these items mentioned here will be provided by the hospital.  If you have a preference for any of these items, bring your own! I have had no problem with any of the hospital provided items, so for me, it's just easier to use theirs.  I will say that I've had some of these items rationed when I was in the hospital for some odd reason, which was annoying.  My most recent experience was the exact opposite-endless supply of these personal items, and not only that-I came home with bags of these items for future use.  Let's move on...to packing for the precious new babe!

Baby Bag-what I brought
1. Diaper bag.  I always buy a new diaper bag for each baby.  I put a lot of thought into finding one that suits me as a new mommy.  I've learned over the course of now, four diaper bags, that it needs to be a material that can be cleaned, and easily expand and accommodate lots!  This is the diaper bag I bought this time, found on a great sale from Gilt.com and with an extra amount off for first time purchasing, the price couldn't be beat! 
2. Blanket.  If you watched my Instastories yesterday, you know that I had a major issue with one of my blankets.  This is the one I ended up ordering, and surprisingly needed to keep.  
3.  Hat.  I knew I wanted a statement hat for the baby-girl or boy! What's hotter than a pom pom hat? Nothing! So, I ordered from this shop, a neutral white and gray/natural fur colored pom pom in NB size and it goes with everything!  Just a heads up, 0-3 month size hat is too big for the hospital! 


4. Going home outfit.  Just like the diaper bag and the blanket, I put a lot of time into picking out just the right outfit.  I prefer a very gender specific going home outfit.  This time, because I had no idea how big the baby was going to be, I bought preemie and NB outfits (in each gender obviously).  If your baby is 6-7lbs or less, preemie will be a more snug fit.  Simmy wore preemie clothes for three weeks, and just yesterday we put on her first newborn outfit.  It's slightly baggy, but she now has room to stretch her legs #growinglikeaweed 
5.  Milestone item.  Milestone items are all the rage now.  There are blankets, and blocks, and stickers!  I saw this blanket on Nordstrom and knew that I wanted this to celebrate the first year milestones for our rainbow baby.  


Rainbow has been quite the theme here!  



6.  Folder.  If you follow me on Instagram #doit you know that I shared on my stories while I packed, that I have an accordion folder for each child.  It helps keep all their medical papers organized.  I've taken it with me to each birth and it ensures you don't lose any of those important papers from the hospital. It's also especially helpful because you're in a daze for much of the first few weeks-but you're expected to have doctor appointments and answer lots of questions and sometimes you need extra medical attention.  So, the folder helps keep everything organized so nothing is lost, but you can also provide the right information to all the medical professionals. 
7. Pacifier. Some hospitals are breastfeeding friendly which means they won't easily allow formula, nursery stays, or pacifiers.  If your baby is admitted to the NICU, pacifiers are given out freely, which is how Hannah got so lucky when she was born.  I was told before Moshe about this, so I get a pacifier to bring with me to every birth.  You can ask ahead of time so you know if you need to bring it or not.  I used the one from my Buy Buy Baby registry bag, Simmy seems to love these, but I am partial to how adorable this one looks and am trying with all my might to get her to take to this one.  
8. Nursing pillow.  As a first time mom, I found the My Breast Friend to be extremely helpful with nursing.  I also had a Boppy, but I didn't use that for nursing until later on when I was a confident nurser.  What's good about the Boppy is it's multi-functional and can also be used as a lounger for the baby, whereas the My Breast Friend is a single-use item. If I was a new mom, I'd recommend both, but make sure to buy the waterproof cover for the original Boppy pillow!  As a seasoned nurser, I only bought the Boppy this time around.  


Baby Bag-what you might want to bring 
1.  Outfits.  I was fine having my baby in hospital clothes until it was time for her to leave. If you want to dress your baby up in a hat, or an outfit, or a specific blanket, bring it!

What else can you think of to bring for baby?
This can be a very overwhelming process!  If you need more help, start with a list like this, and then take some time to think about your day to day life for items you might want/need, as well as what you might want for baby's first photos, or how you want you or the baby dressed for visitors, what you want to eat, listen to...the list is endless! 


No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz