Monday Munchies...

It's Chanukah time!!!
The first night was Saturday, so of course, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try out this fabulous  donut in a bag recipe!
This was the video that was going around on Facebook



I wanted to give this a shot, because what better way to usher in the holiday than with fresh, homemade donuts?  I'm so glad I tried it; although I will admit, I was skeptical.  What's awesome about this recipe is not only is it easy-think minimal steps, but the cleanup is seriously, like none other!



1 packet dry yeast
3 cups flour 
1 egg
3 tablespoons sugar 
1 cup warm water (try to think warm, too hot water will kill the yeast-err on the side of caution)
11/2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 tablespoon brand (I used 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla instead)
zest of one lemon
2 cups strawberry jelly (make sure there aren't chunks of strawberries, maybe jam?)

Add the yeast, warm water, sugar, brandy/vanilla, lemon zest, oil, egg and flour into the gallon sized ziplock bag.  Close the bag and mix well with your hands for a few minutes. 




Let the dough rise in a bowl of very warm water for an hour. 



After an hour, the dough will have risen, and you should roll it out on a floured surface.  



Using a glass cup, or mug, cut out circles in the desired size.  



Once it's done, cover it up with a towel, and let rise for another thirty minutes.  



Using a deep dish pan, as opposed to the pot I always used to use, fill with oil, about two inches and boil.  If you have a thermometer, boil to 350, but if you don't have a thermometer, use the old water trick: when you splash water into the oil, it should sizzle-then you know it's ready.  



Drop five dough circles into the oil, and let fry for about one minute on each side.  Use a slotted spoon to cool on a cookie sheet covered with paper towel for extra oil absorbing.  If you want filled donuts, it's easier to buy a tip or a tool so you can fill with the jam, or custard, or cream. 



I'm thinking about trying this caramel again and hoping for better results since I have the proper tip. 
Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or maybe some toppings-get creative!



I'm itching to make a donut bar like last year! Thankfully I have plans with friends to make some donuts!

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz