Monday Munchies...

Today I want to share with you a new cookie I came across, just in time for the holidays!  I made these a few times in the past few weeks and it's funny, I'm a chocolate girl-I want chocolate in all my desserts. But, people couldn't get enough of these ginger cookies!  They're just the right amount of spice to give you that kick, but so soft and chewy, like nothing you've ever had before.  And, it speaks volumes that I don't actually have any pictures! Of the three separate times I've baked and packaged them up, no pics! I'll use a stock picture instead!

Image result for ginger cookies

Ginger Cookies
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar

Preheat your oven to 350, and let the margarine become room temperature. If you don't have time for that, just rub the stick of margarine between your hands for 30 seconds and that should do.

Cream the margarine and sugar, then add the egg. Add in the water and molasses.  I have never bought molasses before, and thankfully it was easy to find in my local grocery store. There are light and dark versions-I randomly picked up this one.  Add in the dry ingredients-it was recommended to sift, but I didn't because #lazy.

According the recipe, refrigeration time is not needed, but the dough seemed too soft to work with, so I put it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Then, I rolled it into balls (walnut size is suggested) and then rolled it into a bowl with white sugar, then placed it on a greased cookie sheet.  Assuming you don't use a disposable cookie sheet, maybe don't grease, as per the recipe. Just now I'm discovering I mistakenly greased, it turned out fine, so use your discretion.

Baking time was said to be 8-10 minutes, however the cookies from my first batch came out too soft and many fell apart when I was transferring them. The second time, I baked them for 13 minutes and the end result was still soft and chewy, but not as delicate-which is a must when transportation is required.  

For those of you that enjoy, or like me-require baking in steps, the dough did fine in the refrigerator and the rule of thumb is cookie dough lasts for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.  

These would make the best holiday gift! I noticed Target had some beautiful Christmas ceramic dishes; what a nice, thoughtful, homemade holiday gift this could be!

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz