Munchies...

One day it will be back on Monday-that is when I don't fall asleep at 9pm.

I want to showcase the recipes I contributed to our mothers day brunch.  


Cake:
3 c. flour
1/4 tsp.salt
1 c. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. butter, melted

Topping:
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Mix everything together except for the butter. Slowly stir in the melted butter and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. For the topping, mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 for 28-32 minutes.

Glaze:
2 c. powdered sugar
5 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla


While warm drizzle the glaze over the cake. 

I'll be honest with you-not impressed.  
What I did like was that because it's made from scratch-it's all ingredients you most likely have in the house.  
However-my topping sunk to the bottom.  Now it could be because my butter ended up melted and the topping became to liquidy.  
It also took a lot more time to bake-about double, but the pan that was on the bottom rack (even though I was rotating it) the edges started to burn. 
The glaze made a little too much; I halved it the second time and I think that was enough-just a light glaze. 

Surprisingly, this got rave reviews so I might make it again because of that and it's convenience.

Another recipe I made was similar to this fritata (I can't find the original one) however, this was a hit and I was surprised!  Eggs always surprise me-I'm hesitant to make them, but they're just so delicious and my kids absolutely love them.
Dovy has eaten this every morning for breakfast. 

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/03/recipe-for-spinach-and-mozzarella-egg.html

 Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake
(Makes 6 servings; recipe created by Kalyn.)

Ingredients:
5 oz. organic fresh spinach (4 cups packed)
1-2 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
1 1/2 cups low-fat mozzarella (I used a low-fat mozzarella blend from Costco with 6 grams of fat in 1/4 cup.)
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
8 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Spike seasoning (or use any all purpose seasoning mix that's good with eggs)
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375F/190C.  Spray an 8 1/2 inch by 12 inch glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or nonstick spray.  

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add spinach all at once, and stir just until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.  Transfer spinach to the casserole dish, spreading it around so all the bottom of the dish is covered.  Layer the grated cheese and sliced onions on top of the spinach.

Beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning (or other seasoning mix) and salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.  (I use only a tiny pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.)  Pour the egg mixture over the spinach/cheese combination, and then use a fork to gently "stir" so the eggs, spinach, and cheese are evenly combined.

Bake about 35 minutes or until the mixture is completely set and starting to lightly brown.  Let cool about 5 minutes before cutting.  (The egg bake will settle down some as it cools.)  Serve hot.  This is good with light sour cream.  I also like a little Green Tabasco Sauce sprinkled on the top.

This can be cut into individual servings to keep in the fridge and microwaved for a quick breakfast during the week.  Don't microwave longer than 1-2 minutes or the eggs can get slightly rubbery.


What's so great about this is you can vary the veggies you add based on your preference.  
I added red pepper, yellow pepper and spinach and some cheese. 
And who knew eggs fluffed up when they were cooked? 

Do you have any favorite egg recipes?  
 I'm so excited-I just ordered these egg cups from Amazon, and they're on major discount too!

 Egg Cups Set 4 PC Poached Hard Boiled Breakfast White Save Kitchen Hot Food New

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz