Monday Munchies...

Scratch that, make it Tuesday.

After staying up until 4:30 in the morning Sunday, and then 1:45am Monday, I called it a night at 8:00 pm. 
Thankfully, now that Hannah sleeps all night in her crib, I can count on uninterrupted sleep.
Glorious, glorious sleep...

I wanted to show you a twist on a classic.
Cake.
You know you love yourself some cake-I know I do.  
In fact, I had some yesterday and was rather annoyed when I went to do the calorie count/factor it into my daily Weight Watcher points.
No bueno...BUT I'm all for splurging once in a while.  
Like weekly.
But in all seriousness, when it comes to weight loss, you have to find something for yourself that will make the diet lifestyle bearable.  

For me, I splurge on fancy bars- protein bars, KIND bars-any specialty bar that fits into the profile of what I'm wanting.
I'll splurge on low point options-such as a chia seed pouch I found.  

But I also modify the staples in my life.
Munchkins instead of donuts, you know what I mean?  I just can't live without my donuts...

So, I needed to find an alternative to cake.
One of my c-workers had a birthday, and she's also on weight watchers.
A huge challenge in weight loss is when others feel the need to push something on you.
In this case, it was her birthday and of course other people have their own expectations of what your life should be.
I didn't want to be responsible for knowingly derailing her diet.
So I made her a cake of fruit.  And whipped cream.
I was skeptical, but in the end it was a total hit and I will definitely make this again.
A modification on the classic.

Take a look.


All I could find on Pinterest when I browsed were pictures-with no explanation.
So let me explain.

You need fruits of similar diameters-so I used a mini watermelon, a cantaloup, and a honeydew.  
Cut each fruit into a 1-2 inch slice.
Can anyone help me with the mathematical terms here? I failed math once...
Because the watermelon does not have a group of seeds in the middle, you need it to be on the top and the bottom.
The middle layers are honeydew and cantaloup.

Begin by removing the rind from all the fruits.
The bottom layer is watermelon, topped with whipped cream.
Top with either honeydew or cantaloup.  
Repeat whipped cream and then top with fruit.
Fill in the hole left from scooping out the seeds with whipped cream-then cover the entire fruit with whipped cream, creating another complete layer of whipped cream.
Top with final layer-watermelon.
Cover the entire "cake" with whipped cream.
 You can decorate the cake however you would like.
I chose to do strawberries and blueberries.

Viola, finished.
It did not take nearly as long as I thought it would.
 However, the cake does not travel well-lesson learned.
Prepare on the spot.
It was still delicious, refreshing and appreciated! 

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz