Monday Munchies...

Seriously?!? A week went by already???

I have successfully organized a small shindig (aka the holiday party) for my work.  
It is very low-key, but I want to contribute something festive and homemade.
I love holiday themed goodies, but wasn't sure what could be made in mass quantities that wouldn't keep me up all night because G-d knows my actual holiday gifts will!  

Whenever I need an easy filler that's total awesomeness, I make puppy chow.
Or muddy buddies to some of you.
I was first exposed to puppy chow when they taught us in kindergarden how to walk through the lunch line in preparation for first grade.
Good times...

I didn't realize until I started perusing Pinterest how many varieties there are.

These two holiday versions caught my eye


Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow 
  • 5 cups Rice Chex cereal
  • 10 ounces melting white chocolate OR vanilla flavored Almond Bark
  • 1 cup crushed candy canes
  • 1 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar

Pour 5 cups of Chex Cereal into a large bowl. Melt white chocolate/almond bark according to the package directions. Pour melted chocolate over cereal, stirring and folding until the cereal is completely covered. Fold in the crushed candy canes.
In a large zipped top bag or covered container, add the powdered sugar. Pour the chocolate covered cereal/candy canes into the large bag or container. Seal the bag or container and shake until all the cereal is coated with the powdered mixture.
Discard excess powder. Store at room temperature up to 2 weeks, if it lasts that long!



 Holiday Puppy Chow Mix


  • 9 cups of Chex (any kind)
  • 1 bag of chocolate chips (11.5 oz.)
  • 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup of peanut butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • Large Paper bag
  • M&M’s (any variety)

Place the cereal in a large brown paper bag.
In a medium, microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract.  
Heat on high for 1 minute.  Take out and stir.  Repeat in 30 second increments until the mixture is melted and smooth.
Add in the cereal.
Add in the chocolate mixture and shake!
Add the powdered sugar and shake.
Next, lay out on a sheet pan to cool.
Once cool, add the M&M’s. 

Because peppermint seems to be the seasonal flavor, I'm going to go with the first recipe.  Seems easy enough! 
Which recipe would you prefer?

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz