Monday Munchies

I hope you all had a nice and relaxing Thanksgiving weekend.  We sure did! It was the first time, in a long long time that we had an almost non-existent "to-do" list before the big feast!  The night before, when I knew we would be chilling all morning, I had asked the kids if they wanted me to bake something special in the morning.  I mean, c'mon-we pin all these pumpkin recipes, but we know we'll never make them unless it's specifically for Thanksgiving morning! Thankfully, I bought some extra cans of canned pumpkin so I could partake in the Thanksgiving morning bake off!  My baking these days primarily consists of royal icing cookies, so they were thrilled when I suggested a special Thanksgiving morning coffee cake! 



Cake:
1/2 cup salted butter, almost melted (I used margarine)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
11/2 cups pumpkin
3 large eggs
21/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of the following: cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice 
a pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of ground cloves 

Topping: 
6 tablespoons of flour
6 tablespoons of white sugar
6 tablespoons of packed brown sugar 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, melted (I used margarine) 

Maple Glaze:
2 tablespoons butter
11/4 cups powdered sugar 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and spray your pan-I used a regular round dish, although a 9x13 would have worked as well.  I had more than enough topping and glaze for this size pan, but the ratio of cake to topping was great.  

Use a mixer to mix the butter, sugar, pumpkin and eggs until smooth.  Add the flour, baking powder, salt and spices and mix until combined.  Pour into your prepared pan.  

Make the topping by mixing all the ingredients together-I began mixing with a fork but ended up relenting and mixing with my hands. Top the batter with the topping. Bake for 45 minutes, however depending on your pan, it may take more or less time.  The toothpick method is a good rule of thumb here! 

When your cake is finished baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool a bit.  

Make the glaze by melting the butter, and then adding the powdered sugar.  Once the butter is incorporated into the powdered sugar, add in the liquid ingredients.  Almost immediately it will turn into the familiar glaze.  Stir on low heat, and once you feel it's the desired texture, drizzle right away onto the cake before the glaze solidifies.  


In true Aaryn, no filter fashion, I must be honest and tell you that I will not be making this recipe again.  The cake had the perfect texture, and the recipe was not difficult, the cake had no taste!  My kids loved the crumb topping; not only did they eat theirs-they insisted on eating our crumbs!  They totally boycotted the cake.  In fact, my 4 year old has requested different coffee cake for this weekend.  

And just because I need to showcase my other baking accomplishments: my Thanksgiving cookie set for our Thanksgiving feast 


1 comment

  1. This sounds awesome Aaryn! You did such a good job on those cookies as well!
    P.S. Your kids are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz