Monday Munchies...Homemade Granola

I've recently been searching around for kid friendly snacks, and I thought a great snack to send to school would be yogurt parfaits.  
The first item I needed to find was granola.  However, I didn't come across any nut free options. 
So, of course, when in doubt-search Pinterest.

Because I'll be mixing it with plain yogurt and fruit, I'm opting to keep it plain. 

homemade nut free granola for kids 

Due to school dietary restrictions, I will need to make this without the flax seed or sunflower seeds.  So, simply just sweetened and toasted oats.  But I'm sure it will be delicious!  
Next, I just need to find some decent disposable containers to package this so the kiddos can take this to school easily. 


  • 9 C rolled oats (or combination of oats, rye, barley, etc.)
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 C pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 C honey
  • 1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce
  • 2 tbsp vanilla extract
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare baking sheets with parchment.
  • In large mixing bowl, combine oats, cinnamon and sea salt.  Stir to combine.
  • In medium saucepan, whisk maple syrup, honey, applesauce and vanilla over low heat until combined. (about 5 minutes)
  • Pour hot syrup over oat mixture.  Stir to combine.
  • Pour mixture in a single layer onto prepared baking sheets.
  • Bake for 50 minutes, stirring granola every 10 minutes. (For ease I set my timer five times for 10 minute increments)
  • Let cool and store in airtight container.
Simple enough right?  
I can't wait to try it!

Now, I'll report back to you on last week's Monday Munchies.  
 I really loved the boiled chicken.  It had great taste from the bouillon cube, and it was super moist-which was good for Hannah.  In terms of the salsa, two limes was too much, even with a doubled amount of other ingredients.  I would also take out the tomato next time.  But, it was definitely a crowd pleaser in this house.   

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz