Monday Munchies

Today I'm going to share with you my newest obsession...it's an obsession that almost wasn't!
Let me explain...on Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, we dip apples in honey for a sweet new year.  Last year I made a caramel fondue for apples and toppings.  This year, there were two problems: the first was that most ready-made candies for the caramel, which is the staple ingredient in semi-homemade caramel, are dairy.  This fondue was going to be used after a meat meal-which meant I could no longer rely on the Kraft individually wrapped caramels.  Problem number two was that most likely, any pre-made non-dairy caramel would contain traces of nuts.  I had already made plenty of my ingredients from scratch due to my father being gluten free and Hannah's allergies.  
I went on the hunt for a good recipe, but it didn't work out as planned; and I almost threw it all away.
Thankfully for me, and for you, I didn't.
I'm not sure if this recipe didn't go according to the original recipe because I used margarine as a non-dairy substitute to the butter, as well as non-dairy whipping cream, or if I accidentally put in too much margarine and there was too much liquid to completely be incorporated into the melted sugar mixture.  
Either way, all I had to do to reach the ultimate gooey deliciousness was drain off the excess liquid a few times once it had sat and separated.  

1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons salted butter, cut up into 6 pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt 

1. Heat sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Sugar will get clumpy and eventually melt into a brown, thick, liquid.  Continue constantly stirring to prevent burning.

2.  Add the butter immediately once the sugar is completely melted.  The sugar should bubble rapidly when the butter is added. Stir for 2-3 minutes until the butter is completely melted.

3. Slowly add the whipping cream. Again, the mixture should boil.

4.  Let the mixture boil for 1 minute.

5.  Remove the caramel from the heat, add in the salt, and let it cool before using.

6. Drain the potential excess liquid.  


I have been enjoying this, a little too much, with my freshly picked honey crisp apples. I love adding sprinkles and shredded coconut to my dipped apples.  

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz