Monday Munchies...

Today's recipe is an oldie but a goodie.  It's a twist on the classic green bean, and it's one of my favorites. Unfortunately there are no picture because it's taken out of the cookbook Kosher By Design by Susie Fishbein.  The salad is so fresh, has a major kick of garlic, but combined with the sweetness of the mango, it's #winning at it's finest.  Crispy, garlic, sweet-all in one! 

I was asked to bring a side dish of vegetables to a Shabbos meal this week, and when I really didn't know what vegetable to offer, I was assigned green beans.  My usual green bean dish is olive oil, salt, maybe lemon juice or soy sauce.  But I've grown tired of it, and quite frankly it's not really up to par with how I want to present myself to friends and family.  The problem is, I struggle with finding time to search through the pile of cookbooks I have, or search the internet and just peruse...
But then I remembered this awesome recipe I made for the first time 8 years ago, and I haven't forgotten it since!  I don't make it often, mainly because olive oil in my food processor makes for a challenge cleaning, but I had a craving for these.  The funny thing was, I couldn't find the recipe!  I was searching through all the indexes, under all the different categories it could possibly be under-I even had to recall which cookbooks I had at the time I first made this so I could weed out the possibilities. Finally, cookbook #4, came to the rescue.  

Without further ado...

Roasted Garlic String Beans with Mango
2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
5-6 scallions, halved and ends trimmed
7-8 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup olive oil
1 (.92 oz) packet roasted garlic dry salad dressing mix
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard  
3 tablespoons honey
1-2 fresh mango peeled and diced, or dried mango soaked in warm water for 5 minutes then cut into small pieces
2 handfuls sunflower seeds
2 handfuls chopped walnuts

Did I warn you, or did I warn you-about the garlic?  

For starters, I did not put in scallions, sunflower seeds or walnuts. 
I reduced the amount of garlic cloves to 5.
I used the mustard and dry salad dressing mix I had on hand, deli style mustard and Greek salad dressing mix. 
I used frozen chopped mango since there wasn't any canned.
I didn't measure the ingredients.
I didn't cook my green beans.
And guess what? This was a huge hit.
This one is definitely on the upcoming holiday menu!

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz