Monday Munchies...on a Tuesday

Ahh...glad to be back. 
I say that too frequently...here's hoping for an improvement!
I finally have a tried and true recipe to share with you-one that almost a week later I'm still drooling over! I'm so not kidding!!!

A couple years ago some family friends came over and brought dessert-butternut squash brownies.  
Not my kind of dessert, but she promised they were worth a try.  
Fast forward two years, and the idea popped into my head to make for Shabbos dessert, and I quickly sent her a text insisting on the recipe.  
I'm so happy she obliged.  
You'll thank me later.  

What I especially love about this recipe is that it's a healthy spin on a delicious classic.  
Many of you know that I've taken to a new type of lifestyle and I'll be honest-using olive oil and butternut squash freaked me out-adding in those extra fats and carbs!!!  But, I know this version is much more wholesome and truly healthier.  
Plus, I've grown to love me some fat!
Can we say whole milk!!! 
Speaking of whole milk-anyone try Starbucks' flat white???  I'm dying to try!!!

Butternut Squash Brownies
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup pureed butternut squash
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa 
1/3 cup flour 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/2 cup chocolate chips

I used whole wheat flour and one would never know!  Also, I bought fresh cubed butternut squash, boiled it and then used my hand blender to puree; I froze the leftovers in individual brownie recipe portions!  Yum!!!  It occurred to me later that I could have bought frozen butternut squash that was already pureed.  
Next time, I want to try this with Hershey's Dark Chocolate cocoa. 
Also, I've seen plenty of healthy brownie recipes and I can honestly say that I think this was probably the easiest version since dealing with the butternut squash was such a breeze.  Zucchini has nothing on butternut squash, just sayin'.

Whisk the egg, egg white, sugar, butternut squash, oil and vanilla.  Add in cocoa, flour, salt and chocolate chips.  Once combined, pour into an 8x8 oiled pan.  Bake at 350 for 23-25 minutes.     

  I actually threw all of the ingredients in a bowl and mixed together-it was totally fine!
Initially, I took these out of the oven at 25 minutes.
However, the next night, I accidentally put them in the oven while warming up food-and they cooked for another 30-40 minutes on 350-and were not burnt! Still delicious, just not as moist.  Depends how you like them!

Guess what-these were so good I don't have any pictures! 
But, I can guarantee these will be on repeat, so I'll just have to share another time.

1 comment

  1. You have a cookbook in your collection that has other tasty, healthy recipes with veggies that I bought you.
    love you Mom

    ReplyDelete

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz