Monday Munchies...DIY Hint Water

I'm not much of a water drinker, but I realize it's important, especially now that we've entered the hot summer months! Last summer, while shopping to stock our beach house (which sadly won't be happening this year), I impulsively decided to buy a few bottles of Hint Water.  It definitely gave plaid old water a kick that I enjoyed, but I knew continuing to buy them was not something I was planning to do.  

Then my kids tried them, and they began constantly reminding me about them.  So, after the summer, I bought an infusion pitcher.  And it sat...and sat...until quarantine left me with a lot of food requests and the need to excite our daily life.  So, we were on a mission to create an imitation Hint Water. Let me tell you, it was not easy! Most of the recipes were a fail, and I don't really know how to trouble shoot, but I still want to share my "fails" in case you have any ideas. But, I still think a DIY Hint Water is a good idea as we are now full swing summer mode, and we all need to up our hydration!  So why not do it with yummy water? If you try any other recipes, let me know!  

For starters, you'll need an infusion pitcher.  I bought this one from Amazon and so far so good! I do wish it was a little bigger though.  Then, I searched for some ideas beyond lemons, which is the only idea that came to my mind.  I came across this reference with several ideas that seemed worthwhile to try with ingredients that I either had on hand, or were easy to get from the store.  Ironically, when I requested two fresh bunches of mint, my instantcart shopper bought me 2 mint plants...they are now doing well in their put on our porch!  

We tried many different recipes over the last few weeks, but only one of them really stuck out to as as a winner even though many recipes that we tried are actual flavors of Hint Water.  I found that the citrus fruits took over the other fruits and if left in too long made the water bitter and many of the fruits never created an infused flavor!  Let's take a look...

Lime & Raspberry-the lime taste was overpowering and by the end of the day created a bitter taste.



Grapefruit-not much taste, and it had a bitter taste by the end of the day.

Lemon & Mint-I was really excited for this, but all that could be tasted was lemon, and again, if left in too long it created a bitter tasting water. 

Strawberry & Pineapple- I was really looking forward to this, but the strawberries didn't give off any flavor, while the pineapple didn't give off much either in this concoction. 

Watermelon-another flavor I was really looking forward to, but the watermelon did not give off a strong flavor. 

Pineapple-surprisingly, this flavor was our favorite.  It gave off a great taste and didn't get too bitter. We made this a few more times since it was so good! 

Blackberry- the blackberries did not give off nearly enough flavor.

Besides mixing yummy fruits into an infusion pitcher, there must be some tricks of the trade that I haven't discovered yet...while this seems like an easy and tasty idea, it is definitely not as easy as it looks!  I think I'm going to try again using these tips. 

If you try any of the DIY Hint Water recipes, please let me know!  

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz