Monday Munchies...

Working out wasn't one of my New Year Resolutions, but eating better (aka staying within my targeted macro range) is! So, I played around with spaghetti squash. And for those of you that have been trying to convince all of us that it's just like eating pasta...c'mon, puh-lease.  
But, in an effort to keep my day time carbs down in contrast to my Friday night dinner, I took it for lunch last week.  It wasn't my most favorite meal, but we all know that certain lifestyles take hard work, commitment and dedication.  

Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Vegetables 
1 spaghetti squash
Peppers
Zucchini 
Onion
Cheese 

The beauty of this recipe is that you can put in whatever you want!  Quick and easy vegetables to roast are yellow and green squash, colored peppers, and onions.  I cut them into the size I wanted, sprayed with PAM and sprinkled with garlic and roasted on 425 for about 45 minutes. I turned them every so often until they were roasted to my desire.  

One awesome thing about this recipe is that the prep time is minimal and the majority of the cooking takes place on it's own.  You can either cook the spaghetti squash in the oven or in the microwave. I chose to cook in the microwave because I've never had success cooking squash in the oven for some reason.  All you have to do is pierce the squash several times, and then microwave.  I did the following: microwaved for 6 minutes, rotated, and then cooked again for another 6 minutes.  Of course it depends on how large your squash is.  Next time, I'm going to let it microwave for a little longer, because although it was "boiling" out, I think the final result could have been a little softer.  Let it sit for awhile, because it will be very hot to the touch.  Once it cools, slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, and use forks to start "shredding" the squash-it will come out in noodle-like texture.  


Mix the squash and your veggies and you have a very low calorie (specifically low carb) main.  I would have loved to add some Parmesan-you get a lot of flavor for very little damage!  We were out, so I need to make sure that makes it onto a grocery list sometime soon! 

Let's squash these New Year goals! 


No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz